Can Someone Check My Maths Please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

coolie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
This seems an absurdly small amount of Sodium THiosulphate to dechlorinate the bucket I use:

Water report from my water supplier lists chlorine content at 0.224 Chlorine Total (mgCl2/l) which I work out to be 0.224 PPM.

When I use the calculator here: http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcdechlor.asp

Sodium Thiosulphate required to dechlorinate my 10.8 litre bucket of tap water = 0.008 g.

So if I put 0.8 of a gram in a 100ml of water, I will have 100 doses of 1ml for when using my bucket.

Am I correct? Seems like an absurdly small amount?

This seems an absurdly small amount of Sodium THiosulphate to dechlorinate the bucket I use:

Water report from my water supplier lists chlorine content at 0.224 Chlorine Total (mgCl2/l) which I work out to be 0.224 PPM.

When I use the calculator here: http://www.cnykoi.com/calculators/calcdechlor.asp

Sodium Thiosulphate required to dechlorinate my 10.8 litre bucket of tap water = 0.008 g.

So if I put 0.8 of a gram in a 100ml of water, I will have 100 doses of 1ml for when using my bucket.

Am I correct? Seems like an absurdly small amount?

I wish i knew the metric system as well as i know metric wrenches all this would be easy, but it seems to make sense 100 doses at .008 would be .8 in 100ml.... does seem absurdly small though i know little about the chemical other than sodium(salt)

Yes, thanks, the bit I really needed some reassurance on was the rather low sounding 0.224 chlorine and I know it's only a bucket full but the small 0.008 g required to treat it.

hmmm, that's odd - the post moved again.

Just bumping this up to see if anyone knows on a Sunday night.

Your math looks correct but still don't know why you're bothering when there's plenty of de-chlorinators available to just be added as and when.

Some people are quite happy to put water treatments in their tank without knowing what goes into it and whether it's suitable for their particular water supplier
which varies from one part of the country to the other, let alone different countries.

I use seachem prime dechlorinater which is known to be one of the best out there :good:

Never had a single fish deaths or illnesses etc in the 2-3 years iv been in the hobby. Plants are also growing very well.

My tank stats are always as they should be... What else should I be looking out for? :)

The one is use has no other additives, colours or perfumes. The data sheet obtained from the manufacturer (which I get for any chemical additive that I'm planning on adding to my tank - reef keeping throwback) states sodium thiosulphate in solution with sterile water so it's as pure if not more than yours. All it took was 3 emails to various manufacturers to get data sheets and then an online order. I too can be bothered to find out what I'm putting in my tank but do it in the most efficient way.

There is always room for improvement, your fish live half the natural life span they live in the wild, generally.
I would appreciate it if you stop belittling my ideas, which you've done across several threads now, if you're not interested in this kind of research just move on to another thread.

I wasn't belittling your idea at all, I actually told you your math was correct which is what you asked then I asked a simple question as to why you were bothering when there's so many products available for a simple solution.

This is the 'tropical discussion' section of a public forum, if you post you have to accept that people will reply with their own opinions to discuss.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back