can red fin sharks kill other breeds?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

jamabelo

Reaction score
I recently bought and set up an aqua one 220 litre tank, I got a red fin shark and various other fish including neon tetras,tiger barbs,angel fish and diamond sharks and plecos.. after 5 weeks I lost a pleco then an angel fish then a neon tetra and my 4 diamond sharks, now today I have lost a tiger barb. The red fin shark hides a lot and stays low in the tank,but over the last week it has been paroling the tank and being very bullish. Could this be the reason I have lost all the fish.

It could be the reason, however, looking at water quality is always the first port of call. It would be unusual for a rainbow/red tailed shark to kill a plec.

Did you cycle the tank before you added fish? Have you been testing the water?

Agree. As well, you have serious stock issues that may be contributing to the deaths, as stress from various issues is a major factor in fish disease and life and a weakened fish will be more susceptible to other problems.

What exactly are "diamond sharks?" You may not want to replace these, I will know better once I know the species. Tiger Barb must never be in the same tank as sedate fish such as angelfish. Neon tetras are not suitable with angelfish, nor with Tiger Barbs for that matter. And Red Tail Shark (if this is what you have) is a notorious bully to many fish; if you have the Rainbow Shark, it may sometimes be as bad. There are other issues with some of the fish that I will leave for the present, but once you get to the cause of the deaths, please don't start acquiring new fish until you have sorted out what you want in the tank, and we can confirm the suitability.

Byron.

Agree. As well, you have serious stock issues that may be contributing to the deaths, as stress from various issues is a major factor in fish disease and life and a weakened fish will be more susceptible to other problems.

What exactly are "diamond sharks?" You may not want to replace these, I will know better once I know the species. Tiger Barb must never be in the same tank as sedate fish such as angelfish. Neon tetras are not suitable with angelfish, nor with Tiger Barbs for that matter. And Red Tail Shark (if this is what you have) is a notorious bully to many fish; if you have the Rainbow Shark, it may sometimes be as bad. There are other issues with some of the fish that I will leave for the present, but once you get to the cause of the deaths, please don't start acquiring new fish until you have sorted out what you want in the tank, and we can confirm the suitability.

Byron.
sorry I mean silver sharks and i was given advice from the aquatic shop that these fish are all ok together.I am taking a water sample to the shop and they are having the red fin shark back as he is a bully and bit off part of the angel fishes fin.

sorry I mean silver sharks and i was given advice from the aquatic shop that these fish are all ok together.I am taking a water sample to the shop and they are having the red fin shark back as he is a bully and bit off part of the angel fishes fin.

Well, your own observations that they are tearing into each other show they are not compatible, so that store seems much like so many, unreliable. Research any fish species before you acquire it; it will save a lot of grief, and save fish lives.

It is still possible that there is a water issue. Having your own test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH is worth it; the API liquid Master Combo has all four.

If you do get the shop to test your water for you (although you really should get test kits of your own, as Byron rightly says), do make note of the actual numbers; it's very important.

All too often we hear shops saying things like. "it's fine" or " a little high", which is of no help at all.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back