Can Pygmy Cories be safe on Eco-Complete

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Byron...in post #15 you state that
I would be surprised if any of those ichthyologists stated gravel as the substrate where species of Corydoras are found
This means you don't know... So don't tell others they are wrong, if you don't know yourself.

Byron...in post #15 you state that

This means you don't know... So don't tell others they are wrong, if you don't know yourself.

This is a very irresponsible comment. I have stated the fact that corydoras species do not live over gravel substrates, and I have never found any knowledgeable source claiming different. To me, that settles the question, until you can come up with reliable evidence to the contrary--which you cannot at present because there is no factual evidence. But if you have explored a stream in SA that has gravel and cories, tell us about it, because no one else has found it.

This is a very irresponsible comment
uh oh someones mad... :eek:

I have stated the fact that corydoras species do not live over gravel substrates
OH so you do know, then why are we having this discussion if you knew this whole entire time? crazy things...
P.C. hasselgreen states: "I too think in general that the advice to give for now is sand or rounded gravel as it seems to perhaps make them less vulnerable to poor water conditions, but I also think that the "horror" of sharper sand seems very overrated, much like the "scary Piranjas"
smile.gif

i think I´m going to check different kinds of gravel out.
I think the observations made by ze germans tells me that the fish aren´t as stupid as I look"

A picture of a cory with rather medium sized barbells in a gravel substrate, heavily planted tank:

And Corydoracat states: "I keep mine in an aquarium with larger round pebbles and they seem to be doing well. Everyone has long barbels and are quite healthy.
There's a smooth flat stone in there that they all like to group up and hang out on, but they need to root through the gravel for food, and seem to be doing okay so far. "

PFK states: "The only Corydoras for which a a fine substrate is not essential are the open water swimmers and the smallest Corydoras known — the pygmy species C. hastatus and C. pygmaeus."

uh oh someones mad... :eek:

OH so you do know, then why are we having this discussion if you knew this whole entire time? crazy things...
"

We are having this discussion because you disagreed when I stated that no cory species lives over gravel substrates in nature. I don't care what substrates people like you have, that doesn't mean it is the best for the fish.

I was raised near a river, most of that sand is big enough to hurt your feet...

I don't care what substrates people like you have
Ouch that's just mean, so your saying if someone has the same personality as me, many do, you would deny helping them? ow.. and you don't know what type of substrate I have in my aquascape(s) :) if you look you will know, but if you said that then you don't... sadly...

We are having this discussion because you disagreed when I stated that no cory species lives over gravel substrates in nature
Idk these quotes say otherwise...

The pygmy and similar dwarf species of cory must be over soft sand. Mud would work, but not practicable. Play Sand is ideal as it is the most refined sand. My 10g is full of Corydoras pygmaeus spawning continually, and it has play sand.

Sand is essential for all cories if you care about the fish.[/QUOTE]

no species of cory found over gravel substrates
This is where the nature discussion started
reliable cory source agreeing.
forgot to ask who that was

For any member of this forum to accuse me of not wanting to help others is about as nonsensical as it can get. You need to take a long look at yourself. You insulted another member yesterday, and I feel you have me today. Fine.

Well i mean you did say "People Like You" so I figure you mean that in a bad way. So no answer to my statements? im just going along with what your saying. This to me is a friendly argument or debate.
Where I left off:
"Corydoras come from South America, between Argentine and Columbia, with the vast majority originating from the Amazon basin. Their natural habitat is in clear, slow moving streams and shallow rivers, usually where there is vegetation at the banks. Although they can be found in gravely areas" http://www.thinkfish.co.uk/article/corydoras-catfish#sthash.Rdep4JdF.dpuf
"Open areas are also used for scavenging activities, and the most important thing here is the substrate, which should be fine rounded gravel or sand."
Animal world.com says: "Because these fish have sensitive barbels it is preferable to use sand or fine gravel to keep their barbels in good condition."
All these places im getting these quotes from must be unreliable sources
Cynic from AquariumAdvice says: "In my experience as long as the substrate isn't jagged cories are good with most substrate. Yes sand is likely preferred but in terms of barbel length I've found that tends to be associated more with nitrate levels than substrate."
Then there is DrFosterSmith: "Cory Cats are members of the armored catfish family. Different Corydoras species are found across South America. In the wild, Corys are generally found in smaller streams, at the edges of rivers, and in marshes and ponds. Most species are native to slow-moving, shallow, and clear water and forage amongst sand, gravel, and detritus for insect larvae, worms, vegetable matter, and other food."
etc
etc
etc

Last edited:
This is a very irresponsible comment.

people like you have

You need to take a long look at yourself. You insulted another member yesterday, and I feel you have me today. Fine.
Guess these weren't meant to be aggressive comments then either.
Who was the member? I made up with the nice lady/man who I was discussing with, he/she followed me in the long run which is nice :) visa versa

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back