Can My Tank Fit Anymore?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

NeonBlueLeon

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've currently got a 20 gallon high/75 litre high tank setup.

Stocking:
7x Rummynose Tetras
5x Skunk Cories
1x Bolivian Ram
1x Juvenile (0.75 inch/2cm) creamsicle molly (she was a tiny, tiny stowaway fry from a plant I bought a while ago!)

My question is, do I have space for one, or perhaps two, platies?  I think my tank is needing some bright orange or red in it, so I was thinking something along the lines of red platies or sunset platies.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I think you are pretty much on your limit there.

I would suggest rehoming the molly, as that is taking up a lot of your capacity, and then buying another skunk cory, and 3 or 4 male endlers. If you don't want to rehome the molly, then just get the extra cory.

I'd say re-home the Bolivian Ram rather than the Molly. Bolivians do much, much better in groups of 6+ as they like to create a hierarchy and are social fish. I was thinking of getting some but my tank isn't big enough for a group to go in and neither is yours as yours is actually smaller than mine. Whether you keep the molly or not is up to you. Platies would be fine if you re-homed the Bolivian Ram and the Molly
smile.png
But make sure you get all males
laugh.png

I agree get one more Skunk Cory and then have this stocking
smile.png

7x Rummynose Tetra's
6x Skunk Corys
5x Male Platies

Then you have colour and activity and everything is in the right numbers
smile.png

Rehome the molly and the ram, 20 gallon high tanks are very short. If I'm estimating the dimensions correctly at 24"/60 cm long, I wouldn't keep any of those fish in that tank.

Both tetras and Corys do best in groups of 10-15+ per species.

KittyKat said:
Rehome the molly and the ram, 20 gallon high tanks are very short. If I'm estimating the dimensions correctly at 24"/60 cm long, I wouldn't keep any of those fish in that tank.

Minimum groups size for corys and tetra's is 6+ :) Bigger is always better though.

As for the length of the tank, that was my point. Mine is an 87l(19G) tank and is 30 inch long so a 75l tank is definitely smaller. Especially if it's high rather than long. I went to edit my post after I posted it as I realized afterwards that Rummynose need a bigger tank(long rather than high) and I couldn't edit for some reason. The edit button was there but I couldn't click it :/

Paradise3 said:

Minimum groups size for corys and tetra's is 6+
smile.png

Yeah… I refrained from suggesting that my recommendation is a minimum, even though IME it really is :)

KittyKat said:

Minimum groups size for corys and tetra's is 6+
smile.png

Yeah… I refrained from suggesting that my recommendation is a minimum, even though IME it really is
smile.png

A 20 high(if at least 2ft) can fit 6 Panda Corys in but I wouldn't keep Skunk Corys in them as they get chunky whereas Panda's are a slimmer and smaller species :) They are equally as nice. I'm getting 6-8 for my tank. 

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll probably leave my tank as is for now.  I was considering rehoming the bolivian ram for a while now.  My LFS actually got a shipment of panda cories, so I might trade my skunks in for them.

I wish I could get something bigger than a 20 high.  I have the savings for one, but unfortunately, I'm in a rather small apartment.  I really want to make a beautiful, planted 50-60 gallon FW tetra & cory tank, but space is not permitting :(

Well, there's no reason why you can't make a beautiful 20 gallon planted tetra and Cory tank… it should take 15 ember tetras and 15 dwarf Corys without any problems as they're small fish, so pose a smaller bioload than the same number of larger fish.

(For the record, I consider panda Corys too big for a 60 cm tank as they're damn active.)

NeonBlueLeon said:
Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll probably leave my tank as is for now.  I was considering rehoming the bolivian ram for a while now.  My LFS actually got a shipment of panda cories, so I might trade my skunks in for them.

I wish I could get something bigger than a 20 high.  I have the savings for one, but unfortunately, I'm in a rather small apartment.  I really want to make a beautiful, planted 50-60 gallon FW tetra & cory tank, but space is not permitting
sad.png
You'd be better off rehoming the molly. Mollies prefer hard water where as all the other fish are south American and prefer soft water.
20g high is fine for a single Bolivian ram IMO.
Ideally though, I would trade in the rummy noses for some smaller tetras such as neons or the embers mentioned above as the rummies need a 3ft tank to be truly happy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back