Can Ich Kill This Quickly?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Weaver

Fishaholic
Reaction score
On Tuesday I bought the last rummynose tetra in a tank because I felt sorry for it.Idont know what I was thinking but I just added it to the shoal of 12 that I had
On Friday I noticed ich and started protozin treatment .Iturned the temp up from 26 to 27c.I repeated the dose yesterday and turned the temp up to 28
This morning I found 10 out of the 13 dead!
Could ich kill so quickly or was it the rise in temperature?
All the other fish show neither signs of ich or any stress whatsoever
UK62G tank/0 amm/0 nitrite/20 nitrate
Any thoughts or suggestions ?
thanks

As far as I know (not much, heh) Ich thrives in warmer conditions, so turning the temperature UP might not have improved the situation.

As far as I know (not much, heh) Ich thrives in warmer conditions, so turning the temperature UP might not have improved the situation.

Actually, warmer water will speed up their life cycle. So they'll reproduce faster, and die faster as well. This speeds up the recovery process since the medication is designed to kill the 'larva'(can't think of the correct terminology at the moment). It's hard to say what really killed them. 28c degrees isn't really that hot; I've kept them at even higher temperature. The rise in temperature itself shouldn't have killed them, unless the increase in temperature was more than 1c to 2c per hour. Ich can't really kill unless infection is pretty sever (at least half the fish is covered with it). My guess is that they were some what sensitive to Protozin, and the stress from the rise in temperature killed them.

BTW, always QUARANTINE your new fish for at least 2 weeks.

Thanks cajun
It was totally my own fault/I was gabbling away and not thinking and ended up putting it in the wrong tank
The remaining 3 seem to be ok so hopefully thats the end of the deaths
The funny thing is ,blue ram.is that I do quarantine my fish for 2 weeks and the only 2 times I havent I ve had an outbreak of ich.Wont happen a 3rd time
:X

Sadly yes it can kill fast if it attack the gills, sorry awful, been caught out myself with not quaratining new fish.R.I.P.

I too have a tank that is suffering from Whitespot and the Rummy nose Tetras were the first and only ones to die, all in the space of a few small hours. It's a trauma. Ive got a book by a David Goodwin and really rate it for info.. he suggests that you increase your temp by 10 degrees and that this will often kill the Ich eithout treatment. However I was too chicken and not knowledgeable enough to attempt this. The fish will probably look worse before they get better, but good luck, everyone keeps telling me fishkeeping is not always a trauma. :D

ich often times is a result of stress to the fish, did all of the fish have ich that died? If they did there is a chance that something like the water conditions had them stressed out already and the ich was just enough to send them over the edge.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back