Can I Put My Fish In An Uncycled Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SherriSixxx

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I will have to clean my tank througoutly cos of bad bacteria, with bleach etc, so this will also get rid of all the good bacteria. I don't have anywhere cycled to put the fish in to afterwards. Is it safe to put them in uncycled tank, if I do big water changes every day? I know this is not ideal, and am not gonna do it, if its gonna cause problems for my fish. Any ideas?

First off i would suggest not useing bleach to clean out a fish tank because the slightest trace of it can kill all your fish. You'll have to rinse it out really well. If you have the fish now then i would try to put chlorine neutralizer to minimize the impact of the chlorine from the bleach and the tap water because i assume you don't have cycled water at your disposal. If you cleaned the filter with bleach i would replace the inserts and rinse the container out really well. You can put the fish in the tank and it MIGHT survive. Depending on the type of fish and the condition of the fish will determine the chances of survival. Putting a fish in an uncycled tank has its dangers. Do you have fish now and if so where are you keeping them and what type are they? I will try to help from there.

First, what happened to the tank that you think you have to sterilize it? Second, bleach is fine, if used properly, I use it on a regular basis. Take a read; http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=119809&hl=

If you have cycled filter media, you could try nuking the rest of the tank, keeping the cycled filter media. Due to bacterial exclusion, the media more than likely will only harbor your nitrifying bacteria.

Many thanks! I think I have to sterilise it cos have had fungus for a month, andmedicines not helping. The water in the tank has also gone really green, I don't know why. I have been changing 30% of water every 2 days recently, but the green just keeps getting worse. I can hardly see the back of the tank now, its so cloudy green. Oh, and I haven't started with any new medications while this has been happening. it may be some sort of algae or bacteria? I have checked the water many times, all is fine in tests. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.3, PH 7,5.

So I thought the only thing left to do would be to disinfect everything?? By using bleach. Or using ammonia maybe? Is ammonia better, in case some will not get rinsed properly. I have a 55G tank, so it will not be easy,huh.

What type of fish, & which meds were you using? Dechlorinator neutralizes bleach, I've never had a problem using it. Bleach works better than ammonia, there's no way to neutralize ammonia.

Sorry. 1 common pleco and 2 axolotls. Have used Stresscoat and MelaFix as well as salt baths and chlorine water. Nothing helps. Really am at a loss at what to do. 1 of the axolotls especially has gotten really ill with fungus recently. The rest ok'ish. Am at my wits end on what can I do? I don't want to lose any of my little darlings. A month is too long to be ill, thats why am thinking that cleaning and sterilising is the only option...

Is it possible that it's not fungus...now don't go out and buy new meds immediatly please...this is just a guess. I believe columnaris is often mistaken for fungus. What do the more experienced members think?

Many thanks! I think I have to sterilise it cos have had fungus for a month, andmedicines not helping. The water in the tank has also gone really green, I don't know why. I have been changing 30% of water every 2 days recently, but the green just keeps getting worse. I can hardly see the back of the tank now, its so cloudy green. Oh, and I haven't started with any new medications while this has been happening. it may be some sort of algae or bacteria? I have checked the water many times, all is fine in tests. Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 0.3, PH 7,5.

So I thought the only thing left to do would be to disinfect everything?? By using bleach. Or using ammonia maybe? Is ammonia better, in case some will not get rinsed properly. I have a 55G tank, so it will not be easy,huh.

Hi, I think you have a bad algae problem. I had one where my tank water went really green whilst cycling. I used "Interpet green away" and it hasn't come back since! Try it, unless your all out on totally redoing your tank...

Being in the UK, your options are limited as far as meds go. While salt is not good for plecs long term, it doesn't cause any damage short term. I believe Pimafix is available where you are at, you could try pming Wilder, a member of this forum, on med availability in the UK. This is a good, natural medication. You could try epsom salt, one teasoon per 10 gallons of water, increase by a teaspoon per 10 gallons for a few days for a maximum of 3 teaspoons per 10 gallons. I've used this along with a variety of meds here in the US, it's another natural medication every aquarist should have on hand.

Sterilizing the tank won't remove the fungus from the fish, though it will help to knock back some of the bacteria if it it columnaris, which many times looks like a fungal ailment. Best thing to do is set up a smaller hospital tank for the fish. It will be easier to keep clean, less water to change, and less meds to be used, which saves some money.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back