Can I Put Moss From My Garden In My Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ben M

Formerly pest control
Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
Well you have to be careful what your adding to the tank, it will need to be sterilized and ID'd but its hard to ID moss.

Well you have to be careful what your adding to the tank, it will need to be sterilized and ID'd but its hard to ID moss.

wouldnt it make sence not to, seen as the moss growing in parts of the uk is 1) acclimatised to cold conditions, 2) filthy and 3) not aquatic if its from a garden.

i read on a website that most moss you find in your garden is java moss. o and my dad won't let me buy off here incase the plants bring disease or aren't sent

What I would do is to put it in a shallow tub and cover it with water, keep topping up the water. And then simply wait, if in a week or so it still looks ok then try it.

There is that type of moss in one of mums planters and it is usually covered in water and still grows fine.

thanks i've put it in a tub of water, is this ok?

YEah that will be fine, just keep an eye on it and if it survives for over a week, then should be ok. I put some in with one of my bettas and so far it is still there.

Don't know, not had it submerged long enough to be able to tell

i read on a website that most moss you find in your garden is java moss. o and my dad won't let me buy off here incase the plants bring disease or aren't sent

dude.
your dad is worried about disease of plants from here but is happy for you to put some (more than likely) non aquatic moss from the garden in the tank!!??

i posted out a heap of plants yesterday to 3 ppl, only one paid up front the other two are posting money in return!
who is more likely to lose out??

well, i didn't plan on tellin my dad. but i'd have to if i bought some.

or would i? :shifty:

Most reactions

Back