Can I Move My Fantails Into My Pond In Spring?

Carp4U

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Can i move my reasonably sized fantails into my pond when they grow too big?

Advice please..

I'm not sure on the types of goldfish but if its a common type to put in the pond then it will be OK to put them in at spring. i personally would do it mid spring pnce its warmed up a little. do exactly the same process as for putting the goldfish in the tank.

I would also wait till april/may time to add them
My grandad has got pearlscales in his pond that were from one of the other grandchildrens tanks and they have done well 7 were added and only 2 died which is good for a non hardy fish
These were added to the pond 2 years ago and the remaining 5 are still alive and have been breeding - there are blackmoors , orandas , pearlscales , Koi carp , comets , shubunkins and o bugger forgot the name of the other ones , all the fancy ones have been added from familys tanks in april to may sort of time and most have weathered well over freezing winters

Good luck

Sarah xx

Can i move my reasonably sized fantails into my pond when they grow too big?

Advice please..

Depends on the temperature of the pond and the temperature of the tank at that time. Ideally you don't want more than a 4degree difference of temperature between tank and pond.
The fantails will be able to live in the pond for most of the year, however fantails are fancy goldfish and so are not very good with freezing temperatures and may die if the pond suffers from a particularly cold icey winter. Also, if there are any koi carp or common or comet goldfish in the pond, they may bully the fantail goldfish (this is not an uncommon thing to happen when fancy goldfish and non-fancy goldfish or koi carp are mixed together, since due to fancy goldfishes bulk and fancy fins, they are not fast swimmers and so are not able defend themselves well when picked on, and so often become the subjects of bullying by swifter and more agile fish like koi or non-fancy goldfish).

If you get a 30-40gallon long tank for the fantails then you won't need to worry about upgrading them to a bigger tank or a pond again :thumbs: .

I'm guessing there are already other fish in the pond already?

Like Tokis said, Common and Fancys sometimes shouldn't be kept together mainly because they either become the object of bullying or because the slower fancys cant compete and get enough food with the other faster varieties. It varies with the situation, a friend of mine has kept 2 fancys with 2 commons and a shubunkin I think in an aquarium. They have been fine and haven't picked on each other at all. In an aquarium environment you can regularly moniter if your fish get enough food to eat or become ill whereas in a pond environment it can be difficult and often illnessess and problems are found too late.

A pond environment is also less forgiving than an aquarium and is a harsher place to live than a tank. A fish the gradually becomes weaker will soon die.

ive had 4 fantails in my pond for two years now and all are still alive. i fear for them over the winter but so far all have made it. i brought one in because she had fungal infection which has since cleared up but cant put her back until the spring.

if you want them to be out in the winter the pond has to be at least 4 foot deep and the single tailed goldies shouldnt be much bigger to avoid bullying.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back