Can I get some tips for breeding small tetras?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

tear-scar

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I'd appreciate any information on breeding the smaller species of tetra.

Today, I moved 4 of my Ember tetras, Hyphessobrycon amandae, to a five gallon tank in my room. Originally I did this because I wanted to furnish the tank and put a few other species in to enjoy, but then I noticed the change in behavior.

I came back an hour later, and 2 of the embers were chasing a third all about the tank. I noticed that the chasee was very bloated compared to the chasers, and I felt slapped. I think I might have a spawning situation!

I think the 4th tretra is another female, but not close to breeding; she's bloated compared to the males, but slimmer compared to the other female.

Anyway, any help please!?

Quick stats for Hyphessobrycon amandae

Body shape: Typical tetra body
Size: 1/2 inch
Temperment: peaceful, but not shy
Current diet: Flake food and blood worms; I have to grind the flakes and worms into a pretty fine powder because otherwise the pieces are too big, and the food will drop un-eaten to the bottom.

Anyway, please any help with spawning! Even if you don't have experience with this specific species of tetra!

I never kept any Ember tetras before. Since I haven't seen them sold at my local fish store until recently. And I do not have space. :( My tank has been over stock side for a while. Anyway, I bred Neon and Glowlight before. Both of them I conditioned the males and females separate and fed them well for a while. And pick a fat female and a colorful male and introduced to the smaller breeding tank. I know some tetra is recommended to breed in school like Cardinal and also Rummy-nose but I think most can be done with a pair.
And I think getting eggs are much easier than raising those tiny tetra frys. I could write some advice but there are enough web site listing detail of breeding Neon. So just type in "breeding neon tetra" in search engine like "google", "ask" or something and you can read.
I think Ember can't be much tougher than Neon. Then again, they can be if I consider the size of the fish. It could produce smaller eggs?
I'll try to post the web address I pretty much template my breeding neon setup.

A few posts down in this thread I described my breeding strategy - in that case it was for Tiger Barbs, but the same procedure works for most Barbs, Rasboras and Tetras.

Most tetras are harder to breed then barbs for example because their water requirements are more difficult to create and maintain. H. amandae comes from the Mato Grosso region, which is not as difficult as the real blackwater rivers North of the Amazon. I'd suggest trying with water at about 6.3 pH and 2-3 hardness. They are a small species so I would expect the fry to need infusoria as first food, (or similar).

I've never kept these fish so I can't really offer more advice then that.

Good luck.

actually, I've read that even though they're small, H. amandae produces eggs and fry of comparible size to other larger tetras, so it can't be that different. Thanks for the info!

OK. Here is the link for the Neon and glowlight tetra breeding set up I used. Actually this guy have many other spawning information. And I did not use the spawning bag but used the mesh plastic canvas from the art and craft store. Anyway, I'm sure you can learn something from this web.

http://mike-edwardes.members.beeb.net/Pinnesi.html

I done bred Neon and Glowlight. I also done with Panda cory but I really didn't have to set up the breeding tank for them but they start breeding while I was conditioning them.
Anyway, good luck for breeding Ember tetras. I like the looks of them. If I have more tank space, I would get me some. :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back