Can I Feed My Fish Bread?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I have 3 which are now about 4". Pictus are best kept in groups of 3 or more and need plenty of swimming space.
Are you planning on upgrading your tank?

Hmm, thanks Wilder, kinda mixed review there. Well I definitely won't buy it again (and it doesn't really seem to make my cichlids grow any faster :/) Glad I replied to this thread then and sorry crazyaussie for giving you incorrect advice re. the beef heart.

As for the cucumber I always leave it in for 24 hours, it takes them a bit of time to find it and i think they like it a little soggy :) Stang1 I think maybe it was coincidence about the cucumber as there is no reason that leaving cucumber in a tank for 24 hours should raise nitrites.

Also forgot to say... do you feed you catfish algae wafers because this is an important component in their diet and most fish love them too providing an easy way to get your fish eating some veg!

Definitely not a coincidence, water stats were fine the night before. Cucumber, like most food, breaks down and pollutes the water if left in the tank for too long. ;)

I agree it not only on feeding but deseases aswell that you can get conflicting information and advice.

no im not planning on changing my tank stang1 my pictus looks happy and it eats alot i didnt know it needed a big tank isint 65 liter big enough for them?

no im not planning on changing my tank stang1 my pictus looks happy and it eats alot i didnt know it needed a big tank isint 65 liter big enough for them?
65 litres is far too small, I'm afraid. They ideally need a tank that is a minimum of 3ft.
Clown Loaches can reach up to 12", need to be kept in groups of 5+ and need a tank size of about 95 gallons.

with the clown loaches ive had them for about 3 months now and has not grown a centermeter and i think the pictus ate my neon tetras

That isn the point though. The reason they havent grown is becasue your tank is too small. But htat isnt a good thing. I makes them unhappy, and they die at a younger age. Isnt fishkeeping about keeping your fish happy? Your tank is 17 gallons US. Which means theese are the fish you should ditch:
Loaches
Pictus
Shark( there actually a minnow)
and the Honey
then you tank has plenty of room and swimming space. Also, it will decrease the chance of diseases, or shortend life span. Plus, the tank will be easier to take care of, as your tank dosent have as much waste to deal with as it usually does. If you have 2 platies and you have 1 malea dn 1 femlae. You really should get another female, as the general rule is 1 male/ 2-3 females as they males can and will stress her out and kill her. I wouldnt be surprised if the pictus ate the neon's, they have a 4 foot pictus at my lfs( they just sold it!) and they told me it ate their smallish oscar( they had him, the pictus, other oscars, flowerhorns, and assorted fish of the like in a 600 gallon fish tank made of plexi-glass with loits of bogg wood and rocks). I would aslo recommend getting 2 femlae guppies for your male. He will be more active, and you will have some babies along the way!

..... I would aslo recommend getting 2 femlae guppies for your male. He will be more active, and you will have some babies along the way!

some? These things breed like rabbits on duracell.

Yes, you'll get babies. Lots and lots and lots and lots of babies.
But don't worry - the larger fish will take care of the over crowding problem by eating most of the young uns! :)

That isn the point though. The reason they havent grown is becasue your tank is too small. But htat isnt a good thing. I makes them unhappy, and they die at a younger age. Isnt fishkeeping about keeping your fish happy? Your tank is 17 gallons US. Which means theese are the fish you should ditch:
Loaches
Pictus
Shark( there actually a minnow)
and the Honey
then you tank has plenty of room and swimming space. Also, it will decrease the chance of diseases, or shortend life span. Plus, the tank will be easier to take care of, as your tank dosent have as much waste to deal with as it usually does. If you have 2 platies and you have 1 malea dn 1 femlae. You really should get another female, as the general rule is 1 male/ 2-3 females as they males can and will stress her out and kill her. I wouldnt be surprised if the pictus ate the neon's, they have a 4 foot pictus at my lfs( they just sold it!) and they told me it ate their smallish oscar( they had him, the pictus, other oscars, flowerhorns, and assorted fish of the like in a 600 gallon fish tank made of plexi-glass with loits of bogg wood and rocks). I would aslo recommend getting 2 femlae guppies for your male. He will be more active, and you will have some babies along the way!
If it's Pimelodus Pictus, then they only reach 5". Your lfs must have had a diffferent type of catfish.
It is possible for a Pictus to eat a Neon but only when it is pretty much fully grown. They will only eat what they can fit in their mouths.

If you boil the cucumber a little first couple of mins it softens it up so the fish can eat it faster I wouldnt leave it in longer then 12 hours

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back