Can I Feed My Fish Bread?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crazyaussie

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi
i was wondering if i could feed my fish white bread because i want to give them a treat must get abit boring always eating fish flakes but if i feed them bread will it give them stomach problems

i give my fish bread everyso often, but only crumbs.

so can you only give them the crumbs?

sorry, dunno, only ever given them crumbs.
My gran used to give my Koi large chunks of bread and they ate it happily, as well as cereals.

ok thanks for the help i guess ill give the fish some bread tonight they will be happy with that i hope :)

If you are only feeding you fish flakes they will get bored... and not be in top health fish should regularly have a selection of the following (depending on individual needs):

Flake
Bloodworm (live or frozen or both)
Daphnia (live/frozen/both)
Brineshrimp (live/frozen/both)
Beefheart (frozen)
Cucumber
Corgette
Spinach
Glass Worm
Frozen Peas (cooked and deshelled)
Wafers (if corys etc.)

Of course there are many more, I'm not sure bread would add anything too beneficial to their diet so why not pick from the wide range of things listed above. You'll have much happier healthier fish. I sometimes think I provide my fish with more variety than I even get!!

thank you lola with the daphnia would it be ok if i was to get it from my local park lake its full of it but im worried because the lake it very dirty and i dont want to harm my fish and i never knew fish could eat cucumber

I wouldn't feed bread to often it can bloat fish up like us.
I used to feed bread crumbs, but you have to make sure the bread soaked in tank water before you feed it to the fish.

Daphnia isn very good for fish as it helps the fish to digest its food.

Beef heart bad for fish so I've read.

ok ill get some Daphnia for my fish should i feed it all the time or just once a week?

I'm not sure about getting it from a lake. I think i'll leave that to someone else. Feed daphnia around once or twice a week, also from time to time the other foods, I don't know what fish you've got but fish like kribs love cucumber so throw a few veggies in there from time to time. If you're unsure just ask on here.

Also Wilder... where did you hear beefheart is bad? I feed beefheart that i get frozen from the LFS, I have never heard that it is bad. Please let me know because I will stop feeding it if it is, I just thought it helped carnivores grow?!?

Thanks

ok lola so the lake is bad but i never have seen Daphnia in the shop and would a platy eat cucumber? and also would a pictus catfish

Most fish will attempt to eat cucumber but not all of them like it.
Pictus catfish aren't very fusssy when it comes to food although they go crazy for bloodworm. Ours eat pellets, bloodworm, flake and most frozen food.
Have you got a Pictus?

I'm suprised you've never seen daphnia... next time you got to your LFS ask if they have any live or frozen food. I'd be suprised if they didn't. Live food can stay alive in your fridge for around 5 days so don't stock up too much on that. As for cucumber you can only try. Lots of people say their fish like spinach but mine wont touch it I think you just have to experiment. Put some cucumber in, weigh it down so it sinks and leave it for 24 hours. When you pull it out you'll see if they've eaten it or not!

I'm suprised you've never seen daphnia... next time you got to your LFS ask if they have any live or frozen food. I'd be suprised if they didn't. Live food can stay alive in your fridge for around 5 days so don't stock up too much on that. As for cucumber you can only try. Lots of people say their fish like spinach but mine wont touch it I think you just have to experiment. Put some cucumber in, weigh it down so it sinks and leave it for 24 hours. When you pull it out you'll see if they've eaten it or not!
Sorry Lola but I wouldn't leave cucumber in the tank for more than about 8 hours. I made the mistake of leaving some in my tank overnight and the following morning my nitrites were sky high!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back