Can Guppies & Platys Crossbreed?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Do you think Guppies & Platys can crossbreed?

• Yes.

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • No.

Votes: 18 85.7%

• Total voters

fish.mw.breeder

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting Platys but the reason why I am is because I wanted half-guppy, half-platy fish. But before I purchase mine, I wanted to know if it was possible. Majority rules for the final decison... I have a 20gallon tank and I already have full grown guppys for both genders.

Please reply and vote! Your opinion counts!

:)

Ok, the number of people who have voted "yes" is scary! :crazy:

Guppies and platys can not cross breed because they are from different genera. It is biologically impossible for them to successfully breed.

KittyKat is, as usual quite right; there's no way platies and guppies can possibly crossbreed; platies and swordtails can, and possibly guppies/mollies. Why on earth would you want to anyway?

Aren't any of the many hundreds of currently available aquarium fish good enough for you ?

I just thought it would be neat... See how it turns out. Like all fish are fine. But there always is curiosity! And that can never hurt.

And the majority rule is............. It is NOT possible for a platy & guppy to crossbreed.

:)

Guppy with mollie
Platy with swordfish
Correction: guppy male with molly female; platy male with swordtail female. If they breed the other way around, the female will almost always die during birthing.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back