Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 2 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

paige

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i just would like to no weither guppies can liv in cold water. i dont want to no if ur guppies liv in cold water or not just want to no if they can liv in cold water.thanx for any replies

All fish can live in cold water. it just means that they wont grow as well because they're not used to it. as a general rule, most fish will prefer warmer water 24C-28C over colder water. Fish are cold blooded, so just like a lizard without a hot-rock, the fish will become dodgy and lethargic without they're heat.

moe_1 said:
All fish can live in cold water. it just means that they wont grow as well because they're not used to it. as a general rule, most fish will prefer warmer water 24C-28C over colder water. Fish are cold blooded, so just like a lizard without a hot-rock, the fish will become dodgy and lethargic without they're heat.
I agree. :nod:

They can live in cold water, it just won't be as good for them. I, personally, wouldn't keep my guppies in cold water, but that's just me. :)

but i keep my guppies in cold water and u out to see the size of one of my boys.they do grow alot in cold water i'm not saying they grow more in cold water though.i'll try to send a picture in of my big guppy

well, what's your definition of cold? your water is pretty much going to be the same temperature as you keep your house. i personally like to keep my place at a balmy 75F (~24C). that's right at the low end of that recommended temperature range for most tropical fish.

if you have a small tank with a big light-hood, then the radiant energy of the hood will help keep the tank extra warm. my father's got a cheapie 5gal hex with the filter built into the hood. he generally keeps the house at 65F (~18C) in the winter, but the thermometer of his tank says the water is about 76F (~24C). when he was still using an incandescent bulb, the temperature would sometimes reach 82F (~28C)! it drops a degree or so overnight, but still -- far from a "coldwater" tank.

if your interested in what temperature your water is, i suggest you buy an inexpensive thermometer for your tank. you'd probably be surprised by what you find.

as far as i know guppies can because their temp goes as low as my room is so i could keep them in cold water

I voted "no" because even though i know they can live in cold water it isn't good for their health and can be cruel for them but it realy depends on how cold the water is i suppose...

i had a few of my guppies live and breed and raise fry in a 70-71 degreeF 10gl. and they did fine

yes guppies can live in cold water ive got 28 guppy fry and 1 middle size guppy which i rescued long time before i had the other batch, in a 10 gal tank ive had them in there for about a month and they are all doing fine they havnt got a light either.
I got 20 gal tank with my older guppies in but that tank has got a heater and a light and obviously a pump and filter and they are also doing fine so the answer to your question is YES! i think that should of helped you. :) :p

I think its how you define "cold water" that is important; if you have a cold water tank inside a warm room then the tank will generally reflect the room temp but if you have the tank outside it would probably be way too cold; some of us i have noticed on the forum live in warmer parts of the world than others, some even have climates hotter enough to keep tropical fish outside doors.
I suppose if you've lived in cold water all your life its not so bad but i wouldn't advise putting a guppy thats been used to a heated tank all its life into a cold tank as it probably wouldn't be able to handle the change too well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back