Can goldfish and platy's be together?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hollandthebetta

Reaction score
I have 2 platy fish that have been in a 1.5 gallon tank for about 2 weeks now and i found out that they can grow up to 6 inches so I will be moving them to a 10 gallon tank today, I also have some goldfish in that tank and I was wondering if they could actually be housed together. I am getting rid of the goldfish very soon so I don't think it would be that big of a deal but I just need to know what you guys think.

Platies only reach 2-3 inches not 6. They require similar water chemistry to goldfish (hard & alkaline) but are tropical, whereas goldfish are coldwater. Goldfish can live in warm water and they are bred and raised in warm water in Asia so that is fine. If you have a heater on the goldfish tank or the water is around 22-28C, then the water will be warm enough for platies.

I am assuming the goldfish are small (2-4inches) and they should be fine with platies for a while.

Platies only reach 2-3 inches not 6. They require similar water chemistry to goldfish (hard & alkaline) but are tropical, whereas goldfish are coldwater. Goldfish can live in warm water and they are bred and raised in warm water in Asia so that is fine. If you have a heater on the goldfish tank or the water is around 22-28C, then the water will be warm enough for platies.

I am assuming the goldfish are small (2-4inches) and they should be fine with platies for a while.
Yes, the goldfish are small the bigger one is probably around 4 - 4 1/2 inches where the other one is around 3 inches. I have a heater that I used to have in a betta tank that I can use...thank you for your help!!

A 10 gallon tank cannot house two goldfish (one being 3 and the other being 4+ inches now) and the platies. The goldfish need a much larger tank very soon. Daily partial water changes may help get to that point, but it is imminent.

A 10 gallon tank cannot house two goldfish (one being 3 and the other being 4+ inches now) and the platies. The goldfish need a much larger tank very soon. Daily partial water changes may help get to that point, but it is imminent.
I am giving the goldfish to someone very soon, I know that they cannot be this big in a 10 gallon...I bought them when they where just babies and now are very big....

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back