Can crinum grow above substrate?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cooledwhip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I want to know if I can plant my Crinum Calamistratum plant above the substrate. I am curious if it needs to be under sand or gravel, or if I can just plant it in between some rocks where the roots aren't getting nutrients from the substrate. Thanks

What kind of crinum. Shower caddy, hob, clipped, wood, ect. For terestrial.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

In my post I said Crinum Calamistratum....

Not a terrestrial plant....

From what i understand, this is a plant with a bulb type root system, which when planted in the substrate sends off side runners, which can be clipped and used to propogate new plants throughout your tank.

That being said, why do you not want to plant it as you normally would ?

I would see no reason that you couldnt attach it somewhere out of the substrate as long as the water in the tank had an adequate source of all nutrients in suspension.

From what i understand, this is a plant with a bulb type root system, which when planted in the substrate sends off side runners, which can be clipped and used to propogate new plants throughout your tank.

That being said, why do you not want to plant it as you normally would ?

I would see no reason that you couldnt attach it somewhere out of the substrate as long as the water in the tank had an adequate source of all nutrients in suspension.
My crinum most of the time die because the substrate is too heavy and thick. It doesn't allow for o2 exchange. Plus I have a nice place for it in a spot not plantable.

I see, have you ever tried using pool filter sand, it is sized to allow good water flow. Even if you just removed enough of your current substrate to allow for the planting and replaced that with an equal amount of say 1/2 pool filter sand and 1/2 crushed flint which is a very porous and iron rich material.

My crinum most of the time die because the substrate is too heavy and thick. It doesn't allow for o2 exchange. Plus I have a nice place for it in a spot not plantable.

This is why Malaysian trumpet snails are great. Yes I know not everybody wants MTS but I think they are essential to a planted tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back