Can Bettas Live With Swordtails?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Reeveso

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

My tank now has a 3-4 year old Betta (got it from my sister who got it from my mom's friend so I'm not sure on the exact age) and 3 spotted corydoras.

The Betta is getting old and isn't all that active just in case that matters.

But anyway, I was thinking of getting 1 more cory then getting 2-3 swordtails, but I wasn't sure if the Betta would attack them or not. I know Betta's usually attack "shiny" fish, but swordtail's aren't really shiny they're just bright lol

Anyway I wanted to get everyones opinion before putting them in the tank b/c I don't fish getting eaten!

the swordtails and betta should be fine but individual fish have different temperaments. He might go nuts and kill them, or ignore them completely. Usually the latter.
Likewise sometimes male swords get a bit picky and have a go at other fish.
Try them out and watch them closely for the first few days. If there si any problems then seperate them.

Keeping multiple male swords is not a good idea, so I suppose you'd have two females one male or three females. I keep bettas with platies no dramas, but platies are a more even tempered fish all round.

I personaly wouldn't keep swordtails with your betta. I've watched them in a tank gang up on other fish and the others had to be moved out rather quickly. Corys should be ok but again it depends on the temperment of the fish. One of mine wont have anything in with him but the others take no notice of the cory or an otto when i had him.

Hmm...so I could do either I guess

My betta has been in the tank w/ other Cory's for about 2 weeks now (and just added another 1 yesterday) with no problems whatsoever. By this age he's probably old and just doesn't care anymore lol.

If I end up getting swordtail's, would it be better to get 2 instead of 1 (maybe a male and female) just so they're in a small group instead of an individual? My thinking is that the Betta would be less likely to attack either of them if they're together as opposed to being alone.

Plus, how can i tell the difference b/t a male and female swordtail?

Hello, The Male Swordtail has a 'Sword' behind his Caudal fin (a 2inch or more extension) and they have a 'Gondolopian' bit under the Anal fin (to fertilise) Easy to tell difference.

I would be wary of the Betta in with Swords, as mine got aggressive with them, so the Betta has been re-homed. (He was starting to give aggro to others also!)

I would keep 2 females or more with One Male.

(They will give birth regularly, once started.)

even my platys are not too pleasent with female betta, the betta has to be bigger then them for the platys to leave them alone. Which in my case means only one of my girls can hang with them.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back