Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is ?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all. I have recently changed from Gravel to Sand (Journal on here) and have included some Real plants for the first time ever in my tank. Enjoying it as its great to see them grow and the fish love them.

My question is, in the last 3 weeks i have had this stuff all over my plants, bog wood and sand and am just wondering if its ok or should i worry ?
Scummy Stuff 1.jpg

First picture taken close ish (sorry, i only have a camera phone so quality isnt great)

Scummy stuff 2.jpg

Zooomed in a bit and lost a bit of clarity

Scummy stuff 4.jpg

And on another plant. They are little brown dots that seem to cluster. It is on the sand also but no matter how much i seem to clear off, by the time i have filled it up after a W/C its back again.
However the fish seem to be thriving so not too concerned.

Any advice would be great, Thanks in Advance.

EDIT - forgot to say, its just like dust

snail eggs, by the looks of the blurred picture...  but not 100% sure cant see to well 

maybe diatoms???? not too sure. I feel for you, there's been a dozen things in my tank I haven't been able to get pics of lol. Diatoms are a type of brown algae, can sometimes happen after adding plants for the first time. Nothing to worry about, if that's what it is.

they are not diatoms, they would be dark brown blackish this are white not seen any algae of this colour before but i never have seen snails eggs before but could be?

snail eggs are normaly in little sacks of clear jelly, and just look like a clump of dots (i know iv had a ton of them :L) although assassin snail eggs are in a square pod, i guess it depends on type

I don't know what it is but my plants got the same thing and I didn't do anything about it. They are fine, I wouldn't worry about it. I assumed it was some kind of algae. GEt some good snails to keep it under control and don't have the light too much and you should be fine.

i hope it isnt snails, had loads before i swapped gravel for sand. took a fine tooth comb through all the plants as well before introducing them.
Will keep all posted. How long is too long for the light do you all think ? mine is on for 8 hours a day

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back