Can anyone identify this type of wood?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Madeline

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
IMG_8971.JPG
I purchased this amazing piece at my LFS, it was pretty busy that day and the shop keeper couldn't remember the type of wood it is when I asked.

Any help or guesses will be appreciated ;)

I thought it was mopani wood but I'm pretty new to the hobby and I'm only guessing. It is releasing loads of tannins so I'll be soaking it for quite some time.

Thanks for the help!

I heard back from my LFS, he said it was Savannah Wood. I wonder if this type leeches tannins for a long time....

IMG_9080.JPG
It's pretty huge, I didn't have anywhere to soak it before putting it into my tank so I'm combatting the tannins...

I'm at work ATM so I can't measure it, but it's in my new Fluval f90 tank and it sticks out some at the top. I'd say it's about 30"Wx 13"Dx 20"H.

I'm a complete newbie but I'm enjoying the research and the mind battles I have between what I want and what I'm actually willing to do.

I added some plants, a few I had in another tank that weren't doing well when they arrived and a bit I bought this weekend. I've a shipment of plants that were supposed to arrive today but the shipment got pushed for tomorrow.

I'm super excited and it doesn't even have fish yet! :D

I'm a complete newbie but I'm enjoying the research and the mind battles I have between what I want and what I'm actually willing to do.

I added some plants, a few I had in another tank that weren't doing well when they arrived and a bit I bought this weekend. I've a shipment of plants that were supposed to arrive today but the shipment got pushed for tomorrow.

I'm super excited and it doesn't even have fish yet! :D

I've been out of the hobby for about a decade. I'm getting that same feeling of excitement this time around. This was so the first time I've considered my water hardness and pH before selecting the fish I can keep. It appears I've been fairly lucky, in the past, with my choice of fish.

Thanks to Byron, an active member on these forums, I've been reading many species profiles on Seriouslyfish.com

If you go to that site, and recommend registering with them and adjusting your profile. All the measurements on the site are metric, and ima dumb 'Merican. You can adjust your profile so that all the measurements are in inches. This made sizes much easier for me to understand.

That wood and tank are a great match, in size at least. I hope it works out the way you are hoping.

Thank you!

I agree on the help from members on this and other forums. They have saved me so much wasted effort because they've all done it before.

I find the hobby so peaceful and relaxing. The stresses of the day just disappear for me when I'm watching or working on the tanks.

That is one of the nicest pieces of wood I've seen.......just curious...how expensive was it......good beginning on your tank..what size is the tank? what are your stocking plans?.... If I had that wood, I probably would cut off that thin piece on the left but that's up to you of course

That is one of the nicest pieces of wood I've seen.......just curious...how expensive was it......good beginning on your tank..what size is the tank? what are your stocking plans?.... If I had that wood, I probably would cut off that thin piece on the left but that's up to you of course

It was pricey yes, and it's NYC so everything is always with an extra 0 at the end. I thought of cutting that long bit off but I want to see if I can do something creative with it first. Below is the specs on the tank. I hope to start a Pea Puffer tank and I started another thread on my build. I'm glad you like it. :fish:

IMG_9091.PNG

you might consider cutting that pointy piece on the bottom..you wouldnt want any fish brushing up against it and possible getting injured...plus that would open up the arch under .... it if you get a school of small fish, they could swim through the arch.

you might consider cutting that pointy piece on the bottom..you wouldnt want any fish brushing up against it and possible getting injured...plus that would open up the arch under .... it if you get a school of small fish, they could swim through the arch.

I'm not sure you can see it all in the photos but the piece has so much depth, I love it. It's got so much texture, almost as if an artist had come along with a paint brush and spackled the grooves and designs. I can stare at it forever. Those "extra" appendages add to the feeling of depth and are super great at holding plants so I'm going to keep them. At least until I'm done planting and I know how it will look in the end.

The pea puffers are so small I can see them swimming in all the creavaces and openings. I can't wait! :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back