What's new

Can Anyone Id This Fungus/sore On My Piranha?

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

smr189

Reaction score
All my water perimeters are great, I have been treating him with acriflavine ms and noxich before that with little change. i have been doing 25 to 50 percent water changes along with the med dosages.

All my water perimeters are great, I have been treating him with acriflavine ms and noxich before that with little change. i have been doing 25 to 50 percent water changes along with the med dosages.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 221
  • unnamed1.jpg
    unnamed1.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 218
I cannot be 100% sure from the photograph. Does the mark have a cauliflower look to it? if so them it is a virus, lymphocystis. There is no cure but clean water can keep it at bay, just make sure you are adding the right amount of dechlorinator. It might be worth completely stripping the tank of all decor while the virus runs its course, any small marks on the fish can get infected.

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Lawler_Lymphocystis.html

I agree with star4, keeping healthy water conditions throughout this is vital. May I add that your fish is very nice, I'd love to keep a piranha some day.

Lymphocystis

stethoscope.jpg

Symptoms:

Fish infected with Lymphocystis will present with clusters of whitish, berry-like growths on the skin and fins. These "clusters" may resemble small clutches of eggs or cauliflower (hence, it is sometimes called Cauliflower Disease). They will be clearly visible and may even become extremely large. This disease often affects the fins first.

microscope.jpg

Cause: 

Viral infection. The virus will eventually kill the fish if it is unable to mount a strong enough immune response as the virus rampages through the fish�s tissues, destroying its cells.

Rx.jpg

Treatment: 

As with all viral infections, there is no suitable cure or efficacious treatment; however Quick Cure claims to be helpful. I have also heard of people who trim the fish's fins, followed by several baths in Malachite Green. Fortunately, this disease is uncommon and in some cases, infected fish are able to recover quickly without treatment.

Lymphocystis is highly infectious. When infected cells from the fish�s skin or fins burst the virus is spread throughout the aquarium and can remain contagious for periods of up to two months. Fish not showing symptoms should be removed from the aquarium and placed in quarantine, away from other fish, for at least 60 days. Note, remove uninfected fish, not the other way around because the aquarium has become contaminated. The infected aquarium should be emptied and thoroughly disinfected before returning any fish to it. Do not use soap to clean the aquarium.

This virus only affects one species of fish within the tank, any of the same species should be removed, however you do not know which one is the carrier of the virus so you could in fact inffect a second tank. If the virus remains on the body it usually runs its course and drops off, if it gets into the gills or mouth the best course of action is to euthanise the fish else its a slow painful death.

I did have some success with additional UV treatment of the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back