Can A Fry Tank Survive Without A Filter?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ccskitten

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
You may have read my other post "all my fry dead". I recently lost 4 2 week old molly fry to my HOB filter. Last night I had a new batch of fry. I put them in my fry tank with the HOB filter and covered the filter with a pair of tights. I've had no problems all through the night. I've just popped out for an hour and 2 molly fry were dead stuck to the outside of the filter. (gutted as they were the prettiest 2).

I'm going to order a little sponge filter from ebay today. It will probably take 3-4 days to arrive. Will my fry survive with just an air stone until then? I am changing 30% water daily atm.

What an emotional rollercoaster!!!!

they should be ok but you could just rap a sponge around the air line untill then so the air goes through the sponge

The fry can survive without a filter for a few days if you are very careful about not feeding too much. On the other hand, why not just use a filter sponge to prevent the fry's injury. That way the tank stays filtered and the filter stays cycled. I think I posted this option in one of your other threads but a filter sponge like this refill for an AC filter stuck on the inlet tube of a filter will protect the fry without the chance of the fry getting stuck on it. The filter sponge gets a slit cut in one end and then gets stuck onto the tube.

Sponge

DrySponge.jpg

Sponge in place

SpongeInPlace.jpg

Thanks Tolak, I'm gonna give that a go but will have to get some of the 1" tube tomorrow. Just out of interest, how does it work?? I can't get my head around it.

i made two of these easy sponge filters two weeks ago...took less than 15 minutes for both to be completed. and i did not use the "lift tube" option but just crammed the airline hose into the center of the sponge in the pot. i also opted to drill holes on the outside of the pot (for water flow thru the media)...they work GREAT! save yourself some money and make it yourself! dont order one when surely you have all the necessities laying around.
good luck

Wow, I have never had a problem using the tights technique. I hope that it wasn't my advice that caused your fry's deaths and that they were just sucked up after they died of natural causes. I have used the DIY filter that Tolak describes...they do work well.

I witnessed a platy fry get stuck to it this morning and turned it off quickly and it swam away. It's just a really cheap naff filter and I hate the darn thing!!

Honestly though, I think the fry are getting weak as they are not eating. I've put in liquifry, crushed flake and an algea wafer now (not at the same time) and they've not gone near it. (I removed waste after 10mins but left the algae wafer in for 2 hours so it could get really mushy). As the tank is newly set up there is no algea for them to eat. I've just chucked some duckweed in to see if they will nibble on that but they are all hiding in the gravel and aren't coming out. I hope they are ok.

Well I made one. I found some bits and bobs and did it without the big tube as someone suggested. It makes the bubbles much gentler which is good.

I thought I saw a dead fry whilst I was putting the filter in the tank. I got the syphen going and sucked up 2, a platy and a molly. I was just about to dispose of them when the molly started moving. I put him back in the tank and he has settled in the bottom. I still think he is going to dye though. I just don't know what I have done wrong. I just don't know what I have done wrong. I've seen another live platy but can't find any of the others. :(

i just have all my fry in community tanks with normal filters on and get lots survive , i was using a 30 litre half hex with a small stingray 5 filter in for a while before i let them stay in the main tanks this filter has quite a strong current and none of the fry died off

Well, now I've come to the conclusion that I don't think it was the filter causing the problem. All the fry seem to be dying off. Perhaps I didn't wash the gravel properly or something. I have 1 platy fry left who seems to be doing ok for the minute although I'm not sure it is eating any of the food I put in.

My guppy gave birth today and I have left them in the main tank which is well planted, has loads of pebbles and now (thanks to you Sarah) has some lovely frogbit. I've just noticed some guppy fry hiding in the pebbles and I think I also saw a molly and a platy fry in there, so fingers crossed I will have some survivors.

I have decided to convert my fry tank to a betta tank for my daughter. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back