Can 2 Male Bettas Live In The Same Tank?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I'm having trouble uploading my pictures here because of size/ dimension restrictions. I'll take a look at Photobucketing them.

Have you seen the porous red lava rock that's sold in some aquarium shops? I live in So. California, so it's relatively common- but that only means about half of the shops I visit carry it. They usually price that rock by the number of holes it has per piece, instead of per weight. I use those rocks to create many different nooks, or homes/ territories for my bettas. Another thing that I've found key is dense foliage. The idea is to give the fish a lot of close places to hide in case they become intimidated.

I've seen that the males tend to establish a hierarchy the same way the females do, if there are enough of them. Currently, I have a six inch floating log that has Ricchia moss growing around it- and three bettas are calling the log their home. In fact, two of them lay on it face to face without flaring.

More details soon, the wife just called dinner.

Guys chill out hes probably new to the hobby ok? i was like that just asking questions i lost my other acc and you guys did the same thing, no offence

The rock sounds similar to Texas holey rock, and the setup and idea seems similar to an African cichlid setup. I've done similar with angels & taller plants and driftwood, due to their body shape. The tank setup is usually the big deal maker, though as is often the case fish have individual temperament.

Some individuals are just plain impossible to get to fit in with a group, no matter what the setup. Others work out fine with somewhat sparse decorations arranged to create a territory they can easily define. I've done 2-3 pairs in a 55 this way, it takes a bit of work as far as fish, decorations, and of course observation but it can be done.

Looking forward to some pics!

Quote for truth, Tolak. The individual temperament of the fish is very important. I had an asshole angel fish that was picking on my bettas every time I tried to add them. I wound up having to catch him and take him back to the local pet shop.

Very similar to a cichlid setup, agreed. From what I've studied though, cichlids like to tear up plants. I have a couple of great pictures to share, link below. These pics are a little old however. The purple betta has some shredding from the angel fish.

That's not what my tank looks like right now. At this point in time, I only had four males in it. Note specifically the rock I'm using though. In this design (which is the cornerstone for most the designs I use), I lay out a flat V shape perpendicular to the corner, so as to create a diamond. Each of these side rocks has multiple holes. Next I use wedge shaped rocks to be placed inside the diamond with the widest part facing up. This creates more holes and nooks in the center of the rock pile. It also provides a load bearing surface to place rocks on top of. My next tier of rocks is placed with the holes facing up/ down. Essentially I'm making a maze that can be accessed from anywhere around the pile, and can be exited anywhere without leaving large enough pockets that the fish can see each other from a distance. Only slow swimming in there because quarters are tight, but not impassable.

Think of it this way- rocks should be laid so that a fish cannot swim in and out in a straight line.

http://s1132.photobucket.com/albums/m570/t3l01v/

I had two divided in a 20 Uk Gal, They some how kept jumping into the other section despite having barely there size in clearance. I got bored of keeping fishing them out and stressing the fish with the net and removed the divider.

They show absolutely no interest in each other and the only trouble I have is from my Rosy barb nipping them (he's soon to go).

I was very careful when I removed the divider and watched them for hours. Kept checking in the dark, they cause absolutely no bother to each other.

I've also seen two VERY healthy fighters kept in the same (much smaller) tank in a LFS that has VERY healthy and good stock.

I think it depends on the temperament of the fish. I think you have to be very lucky for it to work though.

Mine have been living peacefully together for a month, they will be perfect when I removed the Barb.

i kept 1 male in with 7 female bettas, I slowly introduced him (there's a topic in this section about it). All was fine, enough plants and hiding places around, in a 125ltr. I put a lot of thought into this, before doing it but i'd never place 2 males in a 30ltr tank, that's a ticking time bomb, not enough territory for either.

It's great to hear that you two have had success.

I know Barbs are more hyperactive than other fish, but I still have a few in my tank. The Tigers harass the betta fish regularly, so I'm working on pulling them out as well. I should have never put them in, but I was so nostalgic, remembering the first tank I build with my dad.

Again, good comments about the temperament of the fish.

Do you guys have any practices on judging the temperament of a betta fish? I'll share mine, but I'm interested in what others do.

i have a male with 'females' (think there may be another male or 2!) in a 125l and there is absolutley no agression, i brought them all at the same store from the same shipment as females so there is a high possiblity mine are siblings

would love to see some recent pictures t3l01v if you have any :good:

Unfortunately not everybody knows everything. I come on this site for advice because I know i've got a lot to learn. I've cocked up before. So have S##t loads of others. I would have cocked up a lot more if I hadn't looked/checked on this forum first.
If somebody isn't sure about something it's best to ask people for advice like even the "knowledgeable" amongst you do. If I asked the question about something and got that sort of abuse I wouldn't bother asking again. And then what carnage might I end up with?!?!? At least He/She asked advice.
I'd only ever seen good advice or a few helpful pointers here so far. Hopefully you've just had a bad day.
Anyway, best to return one of the Betta's to the shop me thinks.

Errr, the clue is in the aka title...Siamese FIGHTING fish.........till the death of one or both :rolleyes:

Each one has a special character to it's self, some will be fine with certain tank mates yet another wont but one thing is for sure, it will fight with another male Betta.

Any fish (or any animal for that matter) that will attack a mirror if placed in front of it is trying to show that it's intolerant of same species.........homework required :nod:

I don't keep them but have noticed several places that advertise them as "community fish but should not be kept with fin nippers" Admittedly my experience of LFS is limited but i've never seen an LFS stating that males should not be kept together. If you know the consequences it's easy to mock but a fish in a shop described as "communal but should not be kept with fin nippers" could easily be thought of as a peaceful community fish. Can't remember the exect words but a "reputable fish book" described them, basically, as being totally undeserved of their name. What i'm trying to say is, i've read a lot about them not actually being aggressive except with males of the same or similar looking species. If you haven't read that you wouldn't necessarily know. So the "fighter" tag could be added to a heck of a lot of other species who are territorial when breeding for example. No. Putting 2 fish described as fighters doesn't mean someone is ignorant, remembering that they are generally good community fish. In my opion anyway.

I don't keep them but have noticed several places that advertise them as "community fish but should not be kept with fin nippers" Admittedly my experience of LFS is limited but i've never seen an LFS stating that males should not be kept together. If you know the consequences it's easy to mock but a fish in a shop described as "communal but should not be kept with fin nippers" could easily be thought of as a peaceful community fish. Can't remember the exect words but a "reputable fish book" described them, basically, as being totally undeserved of their name. What i'm trying to say is, i've read a lot about them not actually being aggressive except with males of the same or similar looking species. If you haven't read that you wouldn't necessarily know. So the "fighter" tag could be added to a heck of a lot of other species who are territorial when breeding for example. No. Putting 2 fish described as fighters doesn't mean someone is ignorant, remembering that they are generally good community fish. In my opion anyway.

I agree with this.

OY! My back is KILLING me!

I siphoned out all of my sand today, sifted it for snails and gravel, then bleached/ washed/ returned it. I only do that about once every three months, and my tank looks fantastic afterward. Oh, AND there was a 50 gallon water change involved as well. I've still got a lot of sediment in the water right now, so no pictures today. Tomorrow though, certainly.

I trust everyone saw my Photobucket link in my earlier post?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back