Calculated Ammonia Dose Didn't Achieve Desired Result

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Phillysailor

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've a new 61 gal fresh water tropical tank, stable at 79degrees. My tap water is filtered (particle, carbon, softener) and results in nitrate and nitrite-free hard (GH 150), alkalinity 120, pH 7.2  I'm just using test strips.

This evening, I added 60lbs Eco-Complete (by CaribSea), and then waited for much of the dust to settle before adding ammonia. Got the ACE Hardware stuff, 10%. The calculator from the link in the "Cycle your Tank" thread told me to add 1.8ml, so I did. 

Waited 1/2 hr, and checked the strips, and the ammonia was 0.5, the nitrate 20 and the nitrites 0.5

Should I redose the ammonia until I get it above 3? 

You said your tank is 61 galls - that's American gall I assume.

I think you forgot to change the tank volume units in the calculator. I've just had a look, and a 61 litre tank needs 1.83ml of 10% ammonia but a 61 US gall tank needs 6.93 ml ammonia.

I agree. Seems like a conversion error. The good news is that you didn't overdose and by under dosing you really haven't lost any time. Boost up the dosage by the difference between the amount essjay suggests, and the amount you have already added. Wait 30 minutes and retest, it should come back spot on at 3 ppm.

So, just to get back to you guys, as thanks for your help.

Day 5: NH4 was 4, Nitrates 20, Nitrites 3
Day 10: NH4 was 0.5, Nitrates 20, Nitrites 12

Second dose of Ammonia added. Plan is to wait until ammonia comes down, do the snack feedings, and then the third dose as according to the schedule. We are going on a trip over Xmas, so we will plant at the end of the cycle before we go (assuming all goes according to plan), and then add fish when we come back.

We have some white 1/2" and 1" plaques on one of the pieces of Mopani. They look like drippings from a clear/white caulking gun. I assume its a fungus. Interesting, since I soaked them for almost three weeks, using really hot water every few days.

Phillysailor said:
So, just to get back to you guys, as thanks for your help.

Day 5: NH4 was 4, Nitrates 20, Nitrites 3
Day 10: NH4 was 0.5, Nitrates 20, Nitrites 12

Second dose of Ammonia added. Plan is to wait until ammonia comes down, do the snack feedings, and then the third dose as according to the schedule. We are going on a trip over Xmas, so we will plant at the end of the cycle before we go (assuming all goes according to plan), and then add fish when we come back.

We have some white 1/2" and 1" plaques on one of the pieces of Mopani. They look like drippings from a clear/white caulking gun. I assume its a fungus. Interesting, since I soaked them for almost three weeks, using really hot water every few days.

Nothing much to worry about.  It happens all the time with Mopani.  It will go away on its own soon.  It will likely get bigger first though.

Most reactions

Back