BWs, MWs, BBS, VEs

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

wuvmybetta said:
I just take a 1/2 loaf of sliced bread and break it into pieces,then get it moist with water and mix in the yeast. So far I've never had it mold and it lasts forever. When it starts to slow down after about 2 or 3 weeks, I just mix in a fresh bread/water/yeast combo and it picks right back up :thumbs: I restart one or two cultures now and then just to have a new one,like every month or so.
Yes does it smell?

My oatmeal smells like.. :sick:

Also I cant find yeast around here.... :/

Oatmeal cultures won't smell bad for a while. The way to avoid that is to just restart the cultures frequently. I have 10 shoe boxes of culture in my little kitchen and unless I get lazy, they don't smell at all, except when the box is opened.

What I do is restart half of them every 7 to 10 days. This way I have half at full production and the other half getting established. I dump a lot of them out, but I would rather do that then put up with the nasty smell. :sick:

Yeast can be found at any supermarket. Look near the flour and/or in the dairy area. It comes in little flat packets with 3 individual ones attached together. You might also find larger jars in the baking section. :D

yep, i'm just about to go ahead with cornmeal..but i'm not sure how ti's uppose to be done -_-

i think i'm goign to cook the cornemal like the instruction says, and then let it cool and add water until it's all watery , and then add yeast, and then the cluture and see howt hat goes :)

i'm trying out different ways, so im' porbabyl goign to try a culture of just oatmeal, a culture of just bread, and a culture of just cornmeal and see whcih one gives more worms and les smess :)

i find that cultures start to die after 2 - 3 weeks, so i left one unattended for abuot 3 weeks and now it's completely gone :sad: oatmeal and bread is the worse combo, to tell you the truth i think it semlls like barf :sick:

I've also seen somewhere that they can be grown in mashed potatoes, but somehow that idea doesn's seem very appealing to me. :X

to me the corn meal goes bad a lot quicker and it does get moldy and it seems harder to get them thriving...so, i hope that helps, found some good tips..... I also take a childrens vitamin and grind up half and put it in there.... :thumbs:

Hi rollntider :)

Do you cook the corn meal and/or put yeast in it too? :unsure: And just how long does it last?

I've always used cooked oatmeal in my cultures and add a piece of bread on top of the culture, replacing the bread as it disappears.

I use a big round container (couldn't find rectanges or squares big enough) and the piece of bread goes on one side while a wet folded paper towel (folded because my containers aren't large enough) goes on the other side. I create a well in the centre of the paper towel with a spoon and fill it with water. The worms congregate to the well and then I scoop them out with the spoon, replacing the water as needed. If the culture starts to dry out a little then I simply spray the top with some water.

How do you keep the microworm culture from turning too soupy? When I bought my culture, the consistency was like thick paste. The seller simply used bread and yeast on it. But the next day it became more liquid. I made 2 subcultures about a week ago, and in bothl cases, the culture does not have the thick consistency I saw at the seller's, but rather, when I tilt the container, it runs. I have followed the seller's methods and use bread and yeast. Is there a way to remedy this?

Kittycat said:
How do you keep the microworm culture from turning too soupy? When I bought my culture, the consistency was like thick paste. The seller simply used bread and yeast on it. But the next day it became more liquid. I made 2 subcultures about a week ago, and in bothl cases, the culture does not have the thick consistency I saw at the seller's, but rather, when I tilt the container, it runs. I have followed the seller's methods and use bread and yeast. Is there a way to remedy this?
Try not wetting the bread much... :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back