Bully angel fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FeshIsLyfe

Reaction score
How can i stop my 1 bully angel fish from nipping its fellow angel fish. I tried the mirror thing it didn't work.

Hi there :)

Can you give us some more details of your tank, please? That'll help us work out your best course of action :)

The main things we need to know are how big the tank is (tank size can affect aggression) and exactly what fish you have (what species, how many of each, and roughly how old they are).

its a ten gallon tank with 4 danios (the danio was at the tank before the angel fish). My friend put his angel fish in my tank because he will go at a vacation and left me with it me when i return it to him he said his aquarium got broken. I dont know how old the angel fish but the bully is bigger than the bullied.

So, two angel fish?

Angel fish are cichlids, and they can be quite aggressive. Two males will nearly always fight. Two females might get on, or they might not. Being cichlids, angels like to choose their own mates, so even a male and a female will not, necessarily, get along; they're also very hard to sex, unless they're actually breeding.

In most cases you only have two options; remove one of the fish and just keep one, or add a lot more angels, so there is a shoal of them and the bully can't pick on any one fish too much.

However, in your case, you're going to have to rehome both fish. A ten gallon tank is not big enough for angels, as they really do grow quite large.

There is, sadly, no way you're going to be able to sort this out without the health and welfare of the fish being compromised, unless you can get a much larger tank (one that's at least three feet long and 18" tall).

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back