Buck Tooth Tetra

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Rivermud76

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Does anybody know anything about the Bucktooth tetra? I have heard they are quite mean. I am interested in them and wanted to know if anyone had experience with them that they would share.

Exodon paradoxus - interesting fish, but not a community fish. Schooling as are many characins, best kept as a group in a species tank. Scale eater. In the wild, often found following piranha around for leftovers.

I have seen it written that they make good tank mates for piranha, but I very much doubt that to be true, when large enough, I think the piranhas will eat the Exodons.

As lateral said, they are a nasty little fish that will attack any scaled fish in the tank and strip it bare, small fish will be eaten completely. They can be kept with armoured catfish and plecs without problems.

hi im new here.....actually my first post.....i was searching on google about these guys and found this place

I bought 2 of them yesterday.......the people at the place i bought em told me they would gobble up tetra's but they didn't touch them.....so i got my buddy to bring over a white cloud minnow and we put him in tht tank and they chased it but wouldn't eat it....then my roomate decided to kill the minnow and threw it back in and they swallowed it.

we tried another one today and they wouldn;t touch it........i was hoping these guys were gonna be more feirce......my friend has some and his are killers...

and i know they must want food because they eat flakes..........they just kinda spend most of there time chasing each other around.....

i hope they decide to get vicious asap!

As lateral said, they are a nasty little fish that will attack any scaled fish in the tank and strip it bare, small fish will be eaten completely. They can be kept with armoured catfish and plecs without problems.

I'll second that.
I added an adult bristlenose plec to sort out the algae prob
(high meaty diet = high NO3) and they actually swim away from her.

I also have 3 spotted doras with mine
(cleans up uneaten food on bottom)
and they don'y even look at them. :good:

hah, we put three of the horrible little nasties ( they are cute looking though)in our tank at the weekend and have just moved them on to live with the crayfish in his tank. They stripped all the scales off almost everything else in the tank in a couple of days. The only guys who escaped unharmed were the puffer and the sterbai. We can't do any harm to them or move them on (don't buy any of our animals to do that) so we moved them in with the cray. They stay near the top and he gets fed every day so they should be alright together?! I wish we'd been warned at the LFS before getting them but we'll research better from now on.

:unsure: :stupid:

Hey.....Just want to make a post because I'm curious about them as well. How many is the minimum needed to keep them happy? And what's the stocking ratio you recommend?

And do they really not touch bottom dwellers/armored fishes? Because if they don't, it makes lots of things so much easier.

And are they okay with plants?

Has anyone spawned them?

And can/do they bite you?

Just curious :)

Hey.....Just want to make a post because I'm curious about them as well. How many is the minimum needed to keep them happy? And what's the stocking ratio you recommend?

And do they really not touch bottom dwellers/armored fishes? Because if they don't, it makes lots of things so much easier.

And are they okay with plants?

Has anyone spawned them?

And can/do they bite you?

Just curious :)

you will want at least a group of 10. they are best kept only among themselves, though they should be fine with a pleco.

they are great with plants. they dont eat or uproot them, so theyre perfect for a planted set up.

they are very difficult to breed because of their speed and the way they swim.

they will try to bite you. i have been bitten many times, but it does not really hurt or anything.

hope this helps

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back