Bubbles on the surface of tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

G.Rose

Reaction score
I know its common for Bettas to blow bubbles but I think the bubbles are coming from the filter and I am unsure why.
For just over a week now my tank has a small foam like patch of bubbles on the surface.
I do a 20% water change weekly, change filter pads every 2-3 weeks like suggested. I cleaned out the filter to see if this would solve the problem. His water levels are tested weekly and these are fine. The fish is happy in himself.
I just don't understand why these bubbles have suddenly appeared, It has been just over a week now and I'm not sure what to do, should I leave them or could they become a danger to my fish.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Gem

Attachments

• fish.JPG
    fish.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 95
Those are likely from some excess proteins in the water. This can happen from overfeeding, insufficient water changes, or a build up of organics. These bubbles are not a problem, but they are an indicator that a problem could be looming soon.

My recommendation:
  • Leave the bubbles alone.
  • Do a 50% water change immediately ( with gravel vac)
  • Increase future water change volume to at least 30%, but up to 50 routinely isn't an issue ( temp match your water!)
  • Be sure to get into the gravel and remove detritus with every water change, more than likely the organic are building up from the betas waste more than anything else.
  • Finally, enjoy your fish. Nothing to worry about, these steps are a precaution not a prescription.

Oh, also, there's no need to change your filter pads every 2-3 weeks. They should be rinsed in old tank water with every water change or two, but they will last far beyond that. Being uncertain of your exact filter, I can't be more specific, but you want to ensure that you don't remove too much bacteria when removing these pads and create a problem of recycling the tank. And you certainly don't want to end up recycling every 2-3 weeks. Put the money you save by not replacing your filter pads toward a gravel vac tool. It will make the water change easier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back