bubbles in the water...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

fishlips

Reaction score
What causes slow popping bubbles in the water. They are on the surface and sometimes the fish blurb them out too, or even when I'm doing a water change or swish the water around these bubbles float to the top too. Is that normal? I had read that was an indication that the water was bad?

I have a 55 gallon, cycled (4 mos) and fully stocked:

1 Angel
2 male swords
6 rainbow fish
3 balloon mollies
2 cory cat fish
1 pleco

1 live plant (though it's looking kinda sad)

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

PH currently unknown although in the high range. The LFS where I buy my fish has high PH too. I read the fish adapt, so I don't mess with it. I tried PH down and it doesn't do anything anyway????

No one is gasping for air and everyone seems healthy. I did have ich and treated that a while back and haven't had any reoccurances.

i thaught it was something to do with surface tension perhaps its fish mucus or something i dont know about bad water condiitons perhaps someone else will have a better idea. are any of your fish ill in any way or acting differently?

Nope, no one is sick that I know of. It's been that way for the majority of the time my tank has been running. Maybe I've just "over read" and it's fine. I hope that's the case as I'm looking forward to my fish just hanging out and swimming happily now that it's stocked. :)

Fishlips, surface tension is what makes bubbles, helps pond skippers walk on water etc.... its the rubbery force that exists on the surface of the water. for instance when you mix soap in water it changes surface tension & so more the chances of getting bubbles.

Hope this helps. :D

I have relatively high pH as well. and my LFS said it was normal for my area. and that it was no problem. I believe my pH is around 8.0, possibly a smidgen higher. seems weird that it's no big deal, but the LFS said it was cool. what do ya'll think?

- kip

skiltrip - i think it is definately better to give the fish a constant ph whether it be a bit high or a bit low, than trying to make it exactly 7 or whatever with chemicals. There is no guarantee that you can get it at exactly 7 so there is a higher chance with one change you have 7.4 then another is 6.8. This stresses the fish more than a constant ph of 7.8 for instance. I don't add chemicals to change the ph at all and my tap comes out at 7.6. Haven't lost a fish yet. HTH

fishlips - do yo have an airstone in the tank? Is there very much surface agitation? My fish burp out bubbles but its usually after they go for a piece of food at the surface and get some air with it. Occasionally i'll see some rise out of the gravel. I think this is because there is a bit trapped under the UGF and substrate.

Skiltrip,

A pH of 8.0 is a little too high, especially if you are planning on keeping neons, which prefer softer more acidic water. Your fish will probably survive under your current conditions, but will not thrive. Living in improper water conditions causes stress on the fish, which ultimately leaves them more prone to disease.

I would suggest a pH of 7.5 or 7.6, especially if you want to house quite a few varieites of fish species. However, before purchasing fish, do a little background work and find out what their ideal range is.

Now, judging by the fact that your pH is around 8.0 or higher, you probably have hard water as well. You will have to get a test kit to measure this. If you would like more information on how to adjust the water, get back with the hardness, as adjusting the water involves both, they kind of go hand in hand.

Mogo

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back