Bubble walls

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Tanked

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I must be a sharp as a brick. I have sand in 3 of my 4 tanks and all 3 were always cloudy. Last night I thought about unplugging my bubble walls in all 3 and this morning there was a huge difference. still cloudy, but no where near where it was. anyone else had similar results or problems? oh well, I'll have to get more plants not to make up for the oxygen that the bubble wall is no longer providing.

that happened with me when i first set my 10 gal up......the bubbles were liftin the sand up.......so i put some plants n rocks at the back n put the airstone behind them ontop of the sand so i still had lovely bubbles.

it is an airstone ur talkin bout isnt it?

Tek :fish:

I moved mine about a inch or so above the sand and have had no problems. I think as long as the water currents being pulled up by the air is not too strong at the surface of the sand it should be OK.

Eddie

sort of. not really a stone. it is a 23" bubble wand, a 15" bubble wand and a 4" bubble wand. it is a blue piece of very porus plastic hooked up to an air pump. i did not have it in direct contact with the sand. an all 3 tanks I had them suctioned to the back glass about 1" above the sand.

CLICK HERE TO SEE BUBBLE WANDS

Interesting - I use a couple of white airstone type wands in two of my tanks with sand and don't have any problems (that I've noticed anyway, going to be checking them now ;) )

Must just have been lucky....

Cheers, Eddie

I am debating getting one of those. For now I have gravel, but I want to be switching to sand down the road (most likely when I upgrade my tank...)

would you suggest one for a gravel bottomed tank?

I've got the 12" stone one with sand and have had no water trouble.

Tanked i was looking into getting one of these, but because the bubbles are so close to the glass, does the bubbles make extra noise (from hitting the side) or is it as normal?

I've noticed no extra noise. the bubble sound is quite soothing for me though. I hear the pump vibration most and it is suspened in the air from the tank stand by a bungie cord so it's noise is minimal.

Is the wand really neccasary if the tank is planted? they are used for adding oxygen to the tank (and to look really cool) but the plants add oxygen too. I actaully thing my tank was over oxygenated as I had millions of little bubbles everywhere in the tank (not the one coming form the wand). after shutting it off they have all gone away except for a few that are always around the water return.

the cloud could be the fine sand thats mixed in with the normal sand i get this problem in the first few days i have the tank my carbon pad filter pickes out the sand and i have to change it a few times before the cloud is gone i do this while the tank is cycling so as not to upset the fish too much. perhaps you are having the same thing with your airstone.

only problem i ever had w/them was that it pushed the sand right thru the intakes of my filters :grr: by the time i firgured it all out i burnt out 2 filters :grr: :X

I heard the bubble stuff isn't good for palnted tanks, something to do with something abvove the water that isn't good for the palnts, carbon dioxide ori soemthing.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back