Bubble Walls in aquarium?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Aesthetic-fish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, I posted this thread as a discussion. So, I recently crafted a DIY bubble wall for my 10 gallon. I haven't had spare time to put it in yet, but I know it works(I tested it btw). Anyway, I partially wanted to DIY this bubble wall because store bought ones aren't in my budget, and, I wanted to add some spazz to my tank. But other than that, I wanted one for the benefits. How are bubble walls beneficial to an aquarium ecosystem? Do they provide the same thing as air stones? Do they have certain aeration benefits, or anything similar to that? Overall, I'm just wondering, what are the benefits of bubble walls, other than the spazz and pretty part? Thank you so much for viewing my thread or replying. Hopefully, someone will answer soon!

They do the same thing as an airstone, create water movement and surface turbulence to increase the oxygen levels in the water, and drive out excess carbon dioxide (CO2).

The main drawback to air curtains is they can put a lot of back pressure on the air pump and you go through pump diaphragms more often. But a blocked airstone does the same so no real issue.

You can make them from a length of airline and poke holes in it with a needle. Then block one end up (fold it over and rubber band it so the air doesn't come out that end. You can make a loop of airline and join it with a T-piece and have a circle of bubbles , or meander a length of it thru the tank.

A bubble bar is a double edged sword...to a degree, aesthetically pleasing and offers excellent CO2/O2 gas exchange. Generally, bubble bar/air stones increase O2 in the water, while reducing CO2. This can have a negative effect on plant growth and is especially avoided in a high tech planted tank where CO2 is injected. However, if the tank is not planted, there really isn't a downside to 'air infusion' with stones or bars.

Footnote: With respect to air 'stones', I've become a fan of the 'new' plastic 'never clog' air stones. I use them in daphnia bins as well as a DIY box filter for the 110g stock tank,

Thank you all so much for replying. Btw, Colin, I did just the same making process you said. Also, is a filter pump okay? Are bubble walls the sesame thing as air stones? Are they better or not as good or equal?

Last edited:
Any aquarium air pump can be used to pump air into the air curtain/ bubble wall. The bigger the air pump, the better the air curtain will look.

Air stones are small cylindrical objects that are made from sand or plastic and have lots of tiny holes in them. When air is blown into the air stones it produces lots of bubbles.

Air stones and bubble walls do exactly the same job. The bubble wall is more decorative than an air stone but they do exactly the same thing.

You will need some plant anchors, rocks or suction cups to hold the air curtain down. Use air line suction cups to hold it on the back glass, and use lead weights (plant anchors) or small rocks to hold it on the substrate.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back