Bubble sponge filter in planted tank?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bettabuddies

Reaction score
I have a 40 gallon tropical freshwater with around 7 plants submerged, but several plants emerged also. I made a diy air driven sponge filter with ceramic pieces to add more beneficial bacteria until i finish my over the tank flower box filter. My question is... am I getting rid of beneficial co2 my submerged plants need, or is it better to have added oxygen to the roots of the emerged plants, as i have read is good for hydroponics? I also have a hob filter currently until i finish planter box filter, it just doesnt hold much media other than a sponge.
My water is cloudy since i added sand when i moved the tank to this cabinet. I also have a wooden apron to hide the lights on top, just havent gotten that far yet.

Attachments

• 20171120_100949.jpg
    20171120_100949.jpg
    629.5 KB · Views: 220
The cloudy water is nothing to worry about; it could be due to dirt particles in the sand, or more likely a bacterial bloom common in new tanks or tanks with a new substrate, or even after filter cleaning.

The sponge filter should not be an issue with CO2, and probably the opposite. I have sponge filters in each of my smaller tanks, from a 40g down to a 10g, and all are planted.

Thankyou Byron, I feel confident leaving it in now, at least til I get the planter box filter in. I was going to caulk in 3 compartments for the box, but have seen many that dont even bother with that. I think I will just have the intake tube run over pads in a basket, then allow the rest to flood the hydroton with plants in it.
I made a smaller version of a sponge/crushed ceramic out of a tootbrush travel case for my 5 gallon betta tank with emergent plants also. Will definately leave that also.

Most reactions

trending

Back