Brown algae?

MortisiaDowler

Reaction score
Hello everyone?

I am currently cycling a 3 week 30lt biorb tube tank with 2 sailfin mollies (one of them just gave birth to 15 little ones just this morning). I have noticed that the past 3 days brown algae has appeared on the artificial plants I have. I was wondering if its normal or something harmful and if it's ok to remove it?

I do a daily 75% water change with ammonia and nitrites are in low levels (0
25ppm to 0.50ppm). Temp is at 26-27% . For the first week or so I added a double dose of API quick start.

Algae is not harmful in small amounts like this. Mollies actually eat algae in the wild so they might eat some of the algae growing in your tank. If not though you can reduce the time you have your aquarium light on, if you have one. Since you just have artificial plants you can rinse them under hot water to get the algae off.
30 liters is a little small for 2 mollies. You don't have to put them in a different tank but it would be better. When fish are overstocked algae can become a problem.
Daily water changes won't be needed though, you can just do your weekly ones and use the steps above to get rid of the current algae :)
Could you test for nitrates (No3)? They play a big part with the algae.

First if you are still cycling, you need to not do that much of a water change. It can disrupt your bacteria. Once your tank is cycled a once per week 75% is just fine, but not until your bacteria is well established. I would only do a 25% water change at most. If you are doing daily changes.

The brown algae is most likely not algae at all, but diatoms. It is a small crustacean that feeds on the silicates found in brand new tanks. They are ugly, but go away after a few months. The most you can do is keep cleaning them off, and wait until they go away. Once the silicates are gone, the diatoms will go away too.

I am currently cycling a 3 week 30lt biorb tube tank with 2 sailfin mollies
Why have you got 2 sail fin mollies in a 30 liter tank? And please dont say as a source of ammonia.

That tank is way too small for the mollies

It's because "her husband messed up real bad"
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/new-to-fish-cycling-please-help.449727/
He asked advice from a chain pet store with just about the worst reputation in the UK.

During a fish-in cycle, water changes must be done to keep ammonia and nitrite as close to zero as possible. If that means large daily water changes, that's what must be done. It is better that the cycle progresses slowly rather than the fish be harmed.

Personally I would have taken the mollies back to the shop regardless of the fact that they were are surprise present. Then done a fishless cycle before buying fish suited to the tank.

It's because "her husband messed up real bad"
Ahh I see it now,

My advice is to catch the Mollies and return them to the store, then when the tank is cycled get a Betta because thats pretty much all you can keep in that tank.

The only problem with a betta is that MortisiaDowler is in London - which has water so hard it is usually described as liquid rock :confused:

Endlers, 4 or 5 males.

The only problem with a betta is that MortisiaDowler is in London - which has water so hard it is usually described as liquid rock :confused:

We asked about taking them back and they refused. They also gave birth both of them and I had to remove that fish from the tank. Yes the brown algae or that bacteria is easy to clean up. For the past week my ammonia is at 0 but nitrites and nitrates kind of high. I will take your advice and do 25% water change. It's been a month since we got the tank.

Endlers, 4 or 5 males.

I am thinking of endlers. I know the water is hard but everyone I know have a beta in their home. They are so popular pet shops are overstocked. And secondly most pet shops have the bad reputations.

When I lived in the USA I bought 3 ferrets from Petco only because I felt sorry for them as they lived in horrible conditions. They were underfed, sick and god knows what else. The vet bill was near 2000.

So yeah pet shops care about profit first before anything else.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back