brown algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sheenzorz

Reaction score
My tank is starting to get a fairly large amount of brown algae (on everything and starting to grow on glass). Are there any safe chemicals I could get that would stop the growing for a while, or kill it? Could I just wash the decor off and whipe the glass or will it just return in a day or two?

No chemical will stop it. Your best bet is to remove it the best you can and
get some fast growing plants. The diatom/brown algae is common in newly
set up tank and is just part of a maturing tank (assuming your tank is relatively new).

Get plants like water sprite, moneywort, ludwigia, vals, anything that grows
fast and consumes lots of nutrients.

What kind of lighting, CO2, and ferts are you using?

Yes my tank is fairly new...roughly a month and a half old (give or take a week). I'm sure a "natural daylight" flourecent light that came with the Eclipse hood. Don't know the wattage. I'm not adding anything special to the tank. Could the excess food be the source for this algae? Should I feed less for a while?

Hi Sheen, brown algae is most commonly caused by lack of light, so a couple of Q's what size tank do u have ? what length light tube is in and how long is it on for each day?

Trust me there is plenty of light. In my 20 gallon tank (which has the large amount of brown algae, but pleco seems to be cleaning some up) The tank is 30 inches long, so Im guessing the bulb is around that. The wattage isn't listed on it, but I'm sure it's enough considering it came with the hood (Eclipse). The light is on 12-14 hours a day. Could it be that there is too much light?

IT will probably be a 24" bulb which is like 18-20 watts. This is minimal. 50 watts would be best above a planted tank of your size. You may be overfeeding also.

Most Eclypis tanks come with Compact Flouresents. I KNOW the 12 gal. version does and would assume the 20 gal. does as well. This is more than enough lighting for whatever size tank you buy. To affirm it, just lift up the lid (you have to turn off the filter) and check. Compact flouresents look like two normal flouresents but miniaturized, and connected at the exposed end(they only plug in at the right side of the tank) So check on that and we can give you more advice.

It's not an eclipse tank. It's a normal tank with an Eclipse Hood. The filter is separte from the hood.

Eclipse has many hoods. Mine has two flaps on top. No need to turn off filter when changing bulb. and mine comes with T8flouresent bulbs Whatever that means They do look miniature though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back