Brown algae on plants and substrate

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mist

Reaction score
I am currently suffering with an algea outbreak that seems to look brown and if I touch it it'll float around the tank and gradually get worse any ideas I will post a picture of the alfea soon. Tank has been set up for a while now but got worse after fish have been added any ideas

It is likely either diatoms or organics. The two are much the same. Both tend to remain on surfaces, but come off easily with your fingertip. To suggest treatments, we will need to know more about your tank. The photo will help, but in the meantime, if you could provide data on water parameters (pH especially, but worth knowing the GH too) and nitrate, live plants, any plant additives, fish load and feeding. Water changes (schedule and volume), and filter cleanings. Any cloudy/hazy water?

If this is either organics or diatoms, it is usually due to organics entering the tank or not being removed.

Byron.

Here's an example and its also spreading to the gravel but very easy to remove but seems to come back
WP_20170522_21_42_37_Pro.jpg

It is likely either diatoms or organics. The two are much the same. Both tend to remain on surfaces, but come off easily with your fingertip. To suggest treatments, we will need to know more about your tank. The photo will help, but in the meantime, if you could provide data on water parameters (pH especially, but worth knowing the GH too) and nitrate, live plants, any plant additives, fish load and feeding. Water changes (schedule and volume), and filter cleanings. Any cloudy/hazy water?

If this is either organics or diatoms, it is usually due to organics entering the tank or not being removed.

Byron.
Hello thanks for the reply I currently don't have my test kit avalible at the moment I currently have a betta in this tank along with 2 nerites that have recently been added I only feed once a day. I have no cloudy water and am changing around 20% each day due to this algea the tank is also 50 litres. I hope this is of some help sorry if not everything u say is appreciated thx☺ the pic has been attached also

That looks like organic matter suspended, if it can be shaken off the leaves easily. There is still a bit of info needed from my previous post.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back