Brown Algae Is Killing Me...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hrw084

Reaction score
New here and trying to find some help!! 
I have a 46 gal brackish tank with 3 f8 puffers.  It has been running a year now. Never had any problems, fully cycled the tank before adding my fish. All perimeters are good. I keep it at about 1.003 - 1.004. I cannot get rid of my brown algae and diatoms. I have moved the tank away from a window, reduced the light time, even went a couple days without even turning the lights on. Always had live plants because they are supposed to beat out the algae for nutrients, however they just get over taken with it and start dying. Did the phosphate removal stuff worked for a little while but when through the container at the speed of light. I used seachem and it did nothing. I am about to throw the tank out the door. I have had it! But to beat it all my ten gallon freshwater tank with a few tetras and a cory cat that i use for breeding my snails doesnt have a speck of brown algae in it. That I do not understand!!??  I have well water. Please. Someone help me! Could it be my sand substrate?? I bought the oolite sand at petsmart when I got the tank.
Thank you for any and all help.

Heather

What is your ammonia reading? Even a trace can encourage algae, and it could well be the result of the food that you feed (for example, if you switched the type or changed the amount or frequency around the time that the problem started).

I've had the algae and daitoms since about 5 weeks after I set up my tank. Even when my readings have been 0 for ammonia. I have always fed pond and trumpet snails, freeze dried shrimp and little clams I got from the beach.

And what is the nitrate reading?

5 weeks into a setup is usually when I start seeing diatoms, if at all. My "quick fix" has always been to manually remove them followed by a large water change and adding more plants… I can't remember how larger puffers do with plants, but that may be worth trying.

Nitrate has always been 0ppm. Im telling you this is crazy! I've done everything I can think of. And like I said my freshwater tank has never had any algae. I read once that some sand has silicate in it and diatoms feed off that. That is the only thing I can think of. I have had tons of live plants and they make no difference. The algae eventually takes over them and they die. I use no artificial. I do a 30-40 % water change once a week. Maybe it's not brown algae? I dont know what else it could be?
How do I up load a pic?

Upload a photo to a site such as photobucket, then copy and paste the direct link (found off to the right of the photo) here, using the little icon that looks like a picture. :)

On my 55gl SW tank I change 20gl every week. I had a heck of a time with algae when I was doing 10gl every 2 weeks and i was going to spend 300 on a phosphate reactor and then decided to try more water changes and that along with making the photoperiod 8 hours instead of 12 hours a day seemed to make the difference. But if I miss one week of changing the water, the diatoms and red slime algae are back.

Do you have anything in there that requires light except for the plants? I have corals so I didn't try this but I read that covering the tank for a few days, up to a week or 2 will kill the algae in the tank and your fish should be fine being in the dark.

For what its worth. Diatoms are poor competitors who do better at lower light levels. They also need silicates. Sand can add silicates.

Try doing the reverse, raise your light level. This should allow algae and/or plants to out compete the diatoms.

Good article here on diatoms by RTR http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article85.html

It's a brackish aquarium so no live corals. Just some sorry looking plants. I've debated several times before on taking all the plants out and trashing them....but I'll do more frequent water changes and cover it for a few days thanks everyone!

I have brown algea in my planted tanks in the darkest areas (behind heater is main place) so it could be due to lighting. How old are the bulbs?

I get more diatom problems in lower light setups than in higher so I suggest upping the lighting period.  I also see more issues when I have a water flow problem.  Make sure you have plenty of water flow.

Hi I have had my tank cycled for approx. 3 weeks and have recently started to notice something browny coloured covering parts of my gravel, can anyone help me identify this so I can try and treat it please. thanks

kellyleonie said:
Hi I have had my tank cycled for approx. 3 weeks and have recently started to notice something browny coloured covering parts of my gravel, can anyone help me identify this so I can try and treat it please. thanks
Can you post a picture?

Most reactions

trending

Back