Brown Aglae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Adohan

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a 3 month old tank, I have had brown algae for about 2 months now which I know is common for new tanks. My question is how long should I excepted this to continue before I should start to worry?  

The Tank is a 15 Gallon square shape, is about 50% stocked and fully planted.
Ammo 0,
Nrite 0,
Nrate 0,
ph 7.4-8,
Water medium-hard to hard &
24 Degrees C.

If it's on the glass or ornaments you can just wipe it off.  It should just disappear on it's own when the tank has matured.

Yep, I have been wiping it off the glass and rocks in the tank, and some of the plants but it is starting to effect some of them quite badly.

What is your tank stocked with?  If suitable with your current inhabitants and water parameters allowing, Otocinculus will eat brown algae.

Far_King said:
 Otocinculus will eat brown algae.

I'll second that.  I had some in my tank around the same stage and they devoured the algae, which sounds like diatom early brown algae.

But..   keep up the water changes, eating that much algae turned mine into poop machines.  What goes in must come out ;-)

Yep I put some oto's in about 2 weeks ago and they done a good job of the top 60% of the Glass and the Large plant but do not seem interested in the rest of the tank so far.

Had the same issue with the brown stuff in my new tank all over the amazon sword leaves ,glass and log ,got myself a bristle nose
Pleco its only about 2 inches long and wont grow very big now my tank is free of any algae, what a great little fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back