Bronze Corydoras Itching please help!!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Byron I was thing if im only changing pH by 0.2 and GH/KH by 2 how can i achieve this ?

my tank water pH 7.8 GH 9 KH 13

Minerlas RO pH 8.0 GH 8 GH 8

Pure RO pH 7 GH 0 KH 0

If i mix pure RO with Minerals RO the KH will be a sudded drop compared to pH and GH

should i just do small water changes so none of the will be sudden?
Thank you,
Charlie

Okay in this that case then I will try to take ph down by 0.2 degree and make sure GH/KH are no more than 2 degrees difference in the water that im going to to change, would you suggest doing 5% a day a keep monitoring or 20% each week or what ?
Thank you,

Charlie

Don't do anything to adjust the pH. This will occur relative to the GH and KH. It may take a few weeks, but the point behind this process is getting the constants (GH and KH, relatively speaking) at "x" level, and then the pH will adjust itself accordingly. As I mentioned earlier on my own situation, it is different in every tank as there are several factors involved. This is why it is so dangerous to target the pH on its own; it can behave differently. A natural lowering (I would expect it to lower here) will be gradual and more stable in the end.

To the lowering of the GH/KH, I would do this with a couple of water changes a few days apart, changing approximately 25% of the tank volume at each.

Don't do anything to adjust the pH. This will occur relative to the GH and KH. It may take a few weeks, but the point behind this process is getting the constants (GH and KH, relatively speaking) at "x" level, and then the pH will adjust itself accordingly. As I mentioned earlier on my own situation, it is different in every tank as there are several factors involved. This is why it is so dangerous to target the pH on its own; it can behave differently. A natural lowering (I would expect it to lower here) will be gradual and more stable in the end.

To the lowering of the GH/KH, I would do this with a couple of water changes a few days apart, changing approximately 25% of the tank volume at each.

Okay I see what you mean now, yes that's what im looking for !!
Okay i will do this, what parameters should the water im adding be roughly ?
Thank you

Okay I see what you mean now, yes that's what im looking for !!
Okay i will do this, what parameters should the water im adding be roughly ?
Thank you

H'm, I didn't see your post #16 previously when I added my #17...oh well, here we are.

You're doing a 25% water change, so that will be "x" gallons [checked through this thread and couldn't find a mention of the tank size, hence the "x"]. I would mix it 1/3 mineral, 2/3 pure; you could do this in pails, then pour in. [How do you warm the replacement water?]

Three days later, do another identical change. Then a third, next week, same proportions. Keep going until you are where you want to be in the tank water (GH at 4 dGH, KH 2-3 dKH, or whatever)--I cannot say how many changes this might take, could be a couple or a few more. This may seem overkill, but I like suggesting a safer method to others whose level of experience I do not know. If I were doing something like this, it would be done quicker, because I can easily read fish reactions and respond accordingly. I raised the GH alone (not KH or pH) in a couple of my tanks from 0 to 5, 6 and 7 dGH, for 2-3 years. This was for the plants, another story, but my 50% water changes when the GH would suddenly drop in half and then rise back overnight did not seem to cause any problems for the fish. I stopped this in 2015 and still have the same fish. But again, I was careful to monitor the fish during the changes and after, just in case.

Byron.

/
H'm, I didn't see your post #16 previously when I added my #17...oh well, here we are.

You're doing a 25% water change, so that will be "x" gallons [checked through this thread and couldn't find a mention of the tank size, hence the "x"]. I would mix it 1/3 mineral, 2/3 pure; you could do this in pails, then pour in. [How do you warm the replacement water?]

Three days later, do another identical change. Then a third, next week, same proportions. Keep going until you are where you want to be in the tank water (GH at 4 dGH, KH 2-3 dKH, or whatever)--I cannot say how many changes this might take, could be a couple or a few more. This may seem overkill, but I like suggesting a safer method to others whose level of experience I do not know. If I were doing something like this, it would be done quicker, because I can easily read fish reactions and respond accordingly. I raised the GH alone (not KH or pH) in a couple of my tanks from 0 to 5, 6 and 7 dGH, for 2-3 years. This was for the plants, another story, but my 50% water changes when the GH would suddenly drop in half and then rise back overnight did not seem to cause any problems for the fish. I stopped this in 2015 and still have the same fish. But again, I was careful to monitor the fish during the changes and after, just in case.
Byron.

My tank is 80L so 17.5 Gallons, okay i can make that mix, and I put a heater in a bucket with a thermostat to get the correct temperature and add an air stone, what does pails mean? okay 25% water change with 3 day intervials 1/3 mineral mix, test 1-2 times a day, sound good ? yeah i dont mind how long it takes, i will always go down the safer route if i can, I have taken time off work to monitor my fish so i will be paying close attention most of the time.
Thank you,
Charlie

/

My tank is 80L so 17.5 Gallons, okay i can make that mix, and I put a heater in a bucket with a thermostat to get the correct temperature and add an air stone, what does pails mean? okay 25% water change with 3 day intervials 1/3 mineral mix, test 1-2 times a day, sound good ? yeah i dont mind how long it takes, i will always go down the safer route if i can, I have taken time off work to monitor my fish so i will be paying close attention most of the time.
Thank you,
Charlie

Pails is another name for bucket, probably more common in NA. When testing, let the water change mix in the tank for a time, even overnight, so test next morning. These amounts are not going to cause any problems this way, but just how soon you get down to the 4 dGH is not exact. It may only take a couple changes.

Pails is another name for bucket, probably more common in NA. When testing, let the water change mix in the tank for a time, even overnight, so test next morning. These amounts are not going to cause any problems this way, but just how soon you get down to the 4 dGH is not exact. It may only take a couple changes.

Ahh i see haha okay I will, good that's what I want, okay i will be monitoring them as much as possible, Thank you very much Byron, i will update you on this thread of how it goes, cheers !!!!

im changing 25% Ro water at pH 6.8 GH 5 KH 5 i will add slowly

These numbers will probably rise in the tank once the waters are well integrated, because of the parameters of the tank water itself. Test them on the morning following the water change, and proceed as suggested, and depending what they are then.

These numbers will probably rise in the tank once the waters are well integrated, because of the parameters of the tank water itself. Test them on the morning following the water change, and proceed as suggested, and depending what they are then.

yes okay i will test in the morning, they all seem fine so far :)

yes okay i will test in the morning, they all seem fine so far :)

Hello Byron,
It seems like my golden gourami is breathing quite fast the last two nights, I didn't change any water yesterday I have today but I don't think that's the problem, she was doing it last night then I turned my room lights right down and i think she stopped but i cant be certain, she was fine this morning and then after the tanks lights were of for 4 hours she started breathing heavily again, the lights in the room are still on. do you think she could be getting stressed becuase of the light ? i have good agitation on the water surface but i don't run an air stone in there, i know shes a labyrinth fish but shes not really going to the surface for air, shes about 3" and roughly 3 years old, i have had her in this tank for 2 years and i haven't really noticed this before. could it be ich ? i know this can cause stress to the gills.
Thank you,
Charlie

Hello Byron,
It seems like my golden gourami is breathing quite fast the last two nights, I didn't change any water yesterday I have today but I don't think that's the problem, she was doing it last night then I turned my room lights right down and i think she stopped but i cant be certain, she was fine this morning and then after the tanks lights were of for 4 hours she started breathing heavily again, the lights in the room are still on. do you think she could be getting stressed becuase of the light ? i have good agitation on the water surface but i don't run an air stone in there, i know shes a labyrinth fish but shes not really going to the surface for air, shes about 3" and roughly 3 years old, i have had her in this tank for 2 years and i haven't really noticed this before. could it be ich ? i know this can cause stress to the gills.
Thank you,
Charlie

You're not seeing flashing from the gourami, correct? Make sure there is good surface disturbance, rippling and air bubbles into the water if you can. If I am understanding your description correctly, the heavy respiration was in the morning before the tank lights were on, or just after, but subsided then?

You're not seeing flashing from the gourami, correct? Make sure there is good surface disturbance, rippling and air bubbles into the water if you can. If I am understanding your description correctly, the heavy respiration was in the morning before the tank lights were on, or just after, but subsided then?

i have seen her itch 2 times in the last 3 days, so she might be flashing, she does itch from time to time though, my output of the filter is above the surface witch creates bubbles and micro bubbles so good surface movement but should i add an air stone just encase?
Shes doing it from at 8:00pm until my room lights go off and i cant see her, shes fine in the mornings, breathing fine, eating good, untill today at about the same time. should i add my airstone and pump ?

i have seen her itch 2 times in the last 3 days, so she might be flashing, she does itch from time to time though, my output of the filter is above the surface witch creates bubbles and micro bubbles so good surface movement but should i add an air stone just encase?
Shes doing it from at 8:00pm until my room lights go off and i cant see her, shes fine in the mornings, breathing fine, eating good, untill today at about the same time. should i add my airstone and pump ?

So it is after the tank light has been on for a time that the increased rate of respiration begins? If you have an airstone handy, won't hurt. This could be the same issue as initially. It also could be ich (which may or may not have been the issue initially) or some other internal protozoan which would increase respiration. How is the cories respiration? Are they surfacing normally or more?

So it is after the tank light has been on for a time that the increased rate of respiration begins? If you have an airstone handy, won't hurt. This could be the same issue as initially. It also could be ich (which may or may not have been the issue initially) or some other internal protozoan which would increase respiration. How is the cories respiration? Are they surfacing normally or more?

no sorry its at night, i turn the tanks lights out at 5pm and she starts breathing heavily at about 8pm. i wake up, and shes breathing fine in the morning and afternoon until about 3 hours after the tanks lights go off at 5pm, the corys are breathing fine and surfacing the same amount. although i saw one have 1 itch today. yes i do so i will add it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back