Bronze corydora, strange white swelling/dimple

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Umbra

Reaction score
I noticed my Bronze corydora male had a strange white dimple on its rear dorsal fin, which doesnt seem to be healing. it has been about a day since I added a general health medicine (minutes after I noticed it) but I am a bit worried. any info would be helpful.

Attachments

• 20171018_195815.jpg
    20171018_195815.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 142
So generally general health things do more damage than harm. Unfortunately.

The best thing you can do is to do a water change. Could you please Send us your water parameters as well

Sent from my SM-G570F using Tapatalk

Sure.

Ph: 7.8 (stable)
Gh: 5 ish
Kh: 4.5
Tds: 150
Temp: 74-77 in extreme case fluctuations. it is usually stable at 75
Ammonia, Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0.3 ish. It's a guess, since my meter doesn't quite change color rapidly enough for a perfect reading (it's a too low reading)

I may be wrong but the dorsal fin looks slightly frayed and together with the white lump I would say it has some sort of fungal infection. It appears to have a slightly pale complexion too.

I would recommend that you consider using an anti-fungal treatment and ensure that it consumes more food than the other fish to help boost its immune system. If you have food with spirulina in this would be of benefit to its immune system.

On a side note, a nitrate reading of 0.3 ppm is very low for an aquarium ready for stocking. Usually established aquaria will have a nitrate reading anywhere between 10 and 60 ppm which would demonstrate that sufficient amounts of ammonia and nitrite have been converted to nitrate by your filter bacteria. If you have at any point lowered your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings by way of water change be sure to keep your eye out for fluctuations on a daily basis.

I may be wrong but the dorsal fin looks slightly frayed and together with the white lump I would say it has some sort of fungal infection. It appears to have a slightly pale complexion too.

I would recommend that you consider using an anti-fungal treatment and ensure that it consumes more food than the other fish to help boost its immune system. If you have food with spirulina in this would be of benefit to its immune system.

On a side note, a nitrate reading of 0.3 ppm is very low for an aquarium ready for stocking. Usually established aquaria will have a nitrate reading anywhere between 10 and 60 ppm which would demonstrate that sufficient amounts of ammonia and nitrite have been converted to nitrate by your filter bacteria. If you have at any point lowered your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings by way of water change be sure to keep your eye out for fluctuations on a daily basis.

Sorry, that was a mistake. I dont have the Nitrate readings, only the ammonia and nitrites, both of which are 0. My mistake, haha!

Yes, I fill definately follow your advice and get some anti-fungal medicine tomorrow, and feed the poor thing a bit more. I really, really hope he will turn out alright... :(

Thanks for the advice!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back