Broken filter (seeking a replacement)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

maxxal22

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently got a aquarium for free from a friend. They didn't want it anymore, so I got to have it. The main problem now is that the pump of the filter is broken. The aquarium model is a Superfish Home 40. Does anybody know where I can order a replacement?

Thanks in advance!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Most water pumps have an impellor in them and if that breaks you can replace them. To check the impellor turn the pump off and unplug it. Separate the cover on the motor and inside there should be a grey cylindrical magnet with 3 or 4 plastic blades on one end. Hold the magnet with one hand and gently turn the plastic blades. They should only turn about 180-250degrees and then stop. If you can turn the plastic blades so they go round and round without stopping, then the impellor is stuffed and needs replacing.

If the motor has burnt out then throw the pump away and buy a different brand.

You could use a small internal power filter or a hang on back (HOB) style filter like an Aquaclear 40. the Aquaclear would be my choice. :)

+1 - Fluval (Hagen) Aquaclear would also be my first choice for a HOB, although I don't believe there is a 40. They come in 20, 30, 50, 70, and 110 models. You'd be well served with the AC50.
I don't like filters with cartridges.
IMO, Aquaclear HOB's are the best because we can control the media selection. They come with sponge, carbon, and ceramic bio-media, but I have mine filled with bio-sponge.

Thanks for the welcome @Colin_T ! sorry for my terribly late reply, the alert came into my spam box and I forgot all about the thread haha. I did end up bringing the filter to the shop, where we checked it together. Broken, but I got to buy a new one (and a new one is heckin cheap).

@AbbeysDad I might consider an external filter sometime later, but for now this works fine (aside from my orange blue kilifish taking a liking to plaguing me by going inside the filter casing and staying there until I remove everything so he can get out)

Here is how it looks now to try to make up for the tardy reply ;)

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 201

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back