Bristlenose Laid Eggs But.. (updated)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

5teady_2012

Here to help
Reaction score
My female bristlenose has laid egss but none of the males seem to be gaurding the eggs.. lazy gits..

Anything i can do?

take the eggs out along with whatever they are attatched to, and put them in a little tank on thie own. :good:

I dont think they have been fertilized though, no male has been near them at all.

leave tehm alone for a day - If you see a male in there - leave them in there...

If not after a day you will know if they have been fertilised - if they go orange - your in luck - if they stay clear / milky they havent been.

If they are fertile take them out of the cave and put them in a floating fry trap (the all plastic ones and add an air stone - if its not too late for them and they dont get fungus - they should hatch ;)

Bear in mind that it can take a few spawns for them to get the hang of it.

Have you got a pic of what they have spawned in?

Hi,

Here is what i did,

I removed the barnicle and put it in to another tank alone, i looked at the eggs closely and they was not orange, so i thought damn it...

Then i thought i would try something just to see what happend, so i got one of the males out and put it in the tank with the barnicle, gently i edged him towards the barnicle and he went inside and i left him alone..

Went in a bit later and he was still in the barnicle, but he had turned around and just had his head sticking out a bit, i cant see what color the eggs are cos he is in the way i dont want to disturb him, but i can see he his gently moving his tail left to right...

Could he maybe now taking care of them?

Here is what he is (this is not the exact one by the way) - you can see the kind he is in by the tank in my sig, there the same ones.

barnacle9.jpg

normally all you will see is he tail... head out of the cave is not a great sign but fingers crossed...

as long as there is movement of water they have a better chance of not getting fungus...

Head inside? how does he fan the eggs with tail out?

I dont know much about breeding these as i aint had them long, so any more info would be great.

normally about 1 week from spawn to wigglers - then about 2 weeks before the dad will let them out into the world :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back