Brine shrimp?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of mixing up my angel's diet (by that I mean trying to get them OFF their bloodworm addiction).I'm a little skeptical. Do these have any adverse effects if fed? I'm kind of confused because brine shrimp are a saltwater species and usually fed to saltwater fish right?

I use a variety of frozen foods without issue. All my fish including angel get frozen bloodworm, mysis, daphnia, brine shrimp and mosquito larvae.

Frozen brine or any other "treat" food should not be relied on as a staple diet. None contain all of the essential nutrients that a fish needs to thrive and remain healthy.

Find a good quality cichlid pellet or flake and use the others just as a supplement, treat , or to help condition for breeding.

Sorry, I didn't make my post clear. I feed with flake daily, during the evening feed I will sometimes add one of the frozen foods along with a reduced portion of the flake. I was just trying to point out that my fish will accept any of the mentioned foods including the brine shrimp.

Thats fine then, i would cut back the treat foods, to maybe twice a week, and find a good pellet food to supplement the flake.

Yep, brine shrimp, bloodworms, daphina....are all somewhat low nutritional treats to feed sparingly. I feed my fish brine shrimp loaded with spiralina following the weekly water change/tank maintenance (as a treat for upsetting their world).
Make sure you're feeding a nutritious food (check the ingredient list) as all too many use fishmeal requiring copious amounts of grain starch as a binder.
I use Omega One Tropical Flakes, Color Flakes, and Veggie Rounds. There are other good ones, but you have to read the ingredients on the label closely.

I feed frozen 1-2 times a week, regular feeding is a mix of flakes, pellets and wafer. A frozen blister pack lasts 2-3 months for me.

Most reactions

Back