FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GrayScale

Fishaholic
Reaction score
EDIT:
f399754d.jpg
end edit.

So my lfs is closing down their retail side and they are still doing their service side. It's a sad moment since they are 5 minutes from myapartment but lucky for me all of their fw stock (fish, inverts, decorations, plants, and supplies) were all 50% off! I purchsed 15 fish, 7 shrimp and a good peice of driftwood for $65! What a buy right?!

Alright enough with the blabbering and on to the main reason of this post. I picked up a breeding pair of kribensis that were already actively breeding in the tank at the lfs. I've had them for two days and they've already set up camp in a cave of my driftwood. I wouldn't expect them to have already laid eggs but they are being very defensive and protective of it. Whenever one of the serpae tetras come near the male pops out and scares it off but doesn't chase or nip. The female will sometimes swim out and scope around sometimes chasing the other fish away from
another cave in the tank and shell casually wonder back in with the male.

Is this activity signs of eggs in the cave or is it them just showing dominance to the others and making themselves "at home" since it's a new tank for them? I didn't notice any vibro dance or anything like that since i added them and the roof of the cave is too dark to see If there are eggs.

Also, what is the survival rate of the eggs and fry? I know they lay a lot of eggs but I'm not sure how many fry I should be expecting when they hatch.

Last question I promise! I've read that the pH can determine the sex of the fry. Is this saying that depending on your pH you will have ALL male or female or is it going to be a majority will be male and less female or vice versa?

I'll keep you all posted on the progress and thanks in advance for any help!

GrayScale

They seem to have moved to the cave the female was scoping out and are defending that one the same as they did the other. Quite amusing watching them dart out and just stop and swim backwards back into their spot. Kind of makes me think that they did lay eggs already but a little odd since I've only had them for about 2 days.

They are preparing for breeding. If you have gravel, the kribs should be sucking in and spitting out gravel from the inside of their caves to the outside. Lol funny lil fish :lol:

They may have laid eggs, but they are most likely getting their "love nest" set up. They don't really lay that many eggs. Usually 50 or so. I would say if the fry are well taken care of, the survival rate can be as optimistic as 90 percent or higher. My krib survival rate is probably resting at about 95 percent from what I can tell. If the pH is higher than 7.0, there is a chance that there will be more males than females. Below 7.0, well you get the picture.

Thank you much for the advice. The female does look pretty plumb in the belly. It's also nice to know that it's a ratio and not 100% male/female.

I watched them for a little over an hour last night and they were constantly doing the vibro dance, swimming into their cave and moving tons of sand and chasing the other fish off. Should hopefully see results in another week or so. :good: pretty excited. It'll be my first breeding experience.

:good: Im almost positive the eggs have been laid. The female is not nearly as plump but her colors are a lot brighter. They don't dig as much anymore either. Hopefully by the weekend they should be free swimming.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back