Breeding dwarf gourami pair BOTH building bubble nests

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Kristen026

Reaction score
ok I am really starting to second guess myself here. I have searched and searched the internet to no avail. I have two dwarf gourami. I thought they were both male although as I am new to the species was not 100 percent certain. Recently the less aggressive of the two got a very large belly and the face turned an out of this world gun mental almost glowing deep deep silver colour. This fish is the very classic blue with the orange stripes running through. My other gourami, blue all over with very fain orange designs on fins, immediately began mating rituals and the pair mated(I have watched video after video and there is no question they are mating). After this the one I believe is male began sort of trying to blow bubble and appeared to be pickin. Things up holding in mouth and then putting into bubble, also using bits of plant in the nest. I had immediately moved the suspected female out of the tAnk. The coloring in the front of her body and chest area had dissipated. However, I checked on her about 5 minutes later and the tank I had moved her to was covered in bubble nests. Her colorin had returned to the brilliant tone of previous as well. So I moved her back into the tank with the male. At this point they both began mating again and then both making bubble nests. It has been just over 3 days. The two are alone on a 36 gallon tank(I dropped water level considerably) and they have each picked a side. They both seem to be having contests as to who can build the better and bigger bubble nest. A few times I have witnessed supposed female sneaking over to male side and stealing egg/bubble out of his nest and putting into hers. Throughout this time and still currently they often take breaks to meet and mate. At this point I am just so confused as in comparing all of this to absolutely everything I have read it makes no sense at all. Nothing appears to be as it seems and I’m just not sure where to go from here! Hoping actual fish keepers may be more likely to have had some unique experience as opposed to article online so I am really hoping someone has some interesting insight as to what could be going on here. Thank you!!

Attachments

• CFE92D45-8C8C-4571-BC38-83A0B0B68CF2.jpeg
    CFE92D45-8C8C-4571-BC38-83A0B0B68CF2.jpeg
    569.9 KB · Views: 189
  • B5FB4105-BF76-4E6A-B215-74EA26252C13.jpeg
    B5FB4105-BF76-4E6A-B215-74EA26252C13.jpeg
    389.7 KB · Views: 178
  • B90EBCA4-B459-4378-90B3-4D021D5D49D1.jpeg
    B90EBCA4-B459-4378-90B3-4D021D5D49D1.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 169
  • A348A7DD-3799-4ADA-8852-02891A5503EB.jpeg
    A348A7DD-3799-4ADA-8852-02891A5503EB.jpeg
    377.4 KB · Views: 167
Can you place pics of both fish ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G925F met Tapatalk

Can you place pics of both fish ?

ok I am really starting to second guess myself here. I have searched and searched the internet to no avail. I have two dwarf gourami. I thought they were both male although as I am new to the species was not 100 percent certain. Recently the less aggressive of the two got a very large belly and the face turned an out of this world gun mental almost glowing deep deep silver colour. This fish is the very classic blue with the orange stripes running through. My other gourami, blue all over with very fain orange designs on fins, immediately began mating rituals and the pair mated(I have watched video after video and there is no question they are mating). After this the one I believe is male began sort of trying to blow bubble and appeared to be pickin. Things up holding in mouth and then putting into bubble, also using bits of plant in the nest. I had immediately moved the suspected female out of the tAnk. The coloring in the front of her body and chest area had dissipated. However, I checked on her about 5 minutes later and the tank I had moved her to was covered in bubble nests. Her colorin had returned to the brilliant tone of previous as well. So I moved her back into the tank with the male. At this point they both began mating again and then both making bubble nests. It has been just over 3 days. The two are alone on a 36 gallon tank(I dropped water level considerably) and they have each picked a side. They both seem to be having contests as to who can build the better and bigger bubble nest. A few times I have witnessed supposed female sneaking over to male side and stealing egg/bubble out of his nest and putting into hers. Throughout this time and still currently they often take breaks to meet and mate. At this point I am just so confused as in comparing all of this to absolutely everything I have read it makes no sense at all. Nothing appears to be as it seems and I’m just not sure where to go from here! Hoping actual fish keepers may be more likely to have had some unique experience as opposed to article online so I am really hoping someone has some interesting insight as to what could be going on here. Thank you!!

Ok I added pictures in the tank I recently switched them over to, a 12 gallon cycled tank I use for quarantining new fish usually. Within 24 hours they were back at it again. Thanks for any advice you have!

These are two males. The mating you see probably is circling each other and showing of.

Most reactions

Back