Breeding brine shrimp inside the aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

G

Guest132675

Would it be possible to breed daphnia, cyclops etc in the aquarium tank itself? That they could breed and live there and be eaten sporadically by the fish? Anyone tried this before? I have no experience with these critters, so excuse me if this is a stupid question.

I've not tried this, and wouldn't, because I think you need water that is not exactly the best for fish in order to provide food for the critters. In other words, a pond of dirty water will breed critters, but you do not want that in your fish tank. If that makes sense. And brine shrimp need salt in the water, something no freshwater fish should be exposed to except as a specific treatment, maybe.

If you want to culture live foods like daphnia, then read the following link.
http://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

If you have an aquarium that is green soup, you can put some daphnia in a breeding net or a large fish net and have that in the tank. The green water goes through the net and the daphnia can eat it and breed but the fish can't get the daphnia. If you use a green net (like on a fish net), the baby daphnia will go through the gaps and get eaten but the adults will be unharmed.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back