Brand new to the fish world!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robinfishy

Reaction score
I am the proud new owner of a 5 gallon tank with 3 guppies and a small Dalmatian molly. I realize its a small tank but they all seem happy, friendly and active. I have some questions if you would all be so polite to point me in the right direction:
1.) im concerned i may be feeding too much and am wondering what a good amount may be. I am feeding them about 1 pinch of flake food twice a day and have noticed my guppies are pigs. I'm worried that if i feed them enough to eat for 3 minutes it will be too much for them.
2.) do you think i have room for a smaller type of bottom feeder?
3.) Personally, do you believe i should add live plants?
4.) Any tips on cleaning the tank?
5.) would my settings be okay? ( PH: 7.8, Temp: 75-79F, Freshwater tank)

I attached an image bellow of my tank. Any advice is greatly appreciated thank you!

Attachments

• 20170105_233421.jpg
    20170105_233421.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 113
Hello and Welcome!
I have a little 6 gallon Fluval Edge, so I feel your pain in trying to find suitable inhabitants.

Your tank looks very cute and fish are pretty.
You may have an issue with the molly as they generally need more room but maybe if you keep water conditions pristine and don't add anymore load bearing fish...you may be ok (others may tell you different and they know more so I'd listen to them on advice about your single molly).
He (hopefully a he....hopefully they're all "he's" or you'll quickly have a sardine can) may become a fin nipper, so watch out for him harassing the others.

Maybe get a bunch of live plants to give them things to do and places to hide and eat some natural organics.

I have endlers and one guppy and a ton of live plants.

I highly suggest a nerite snail for cleanup. As well as an Amano shrimp, which are super fun to watch!
I also have a sunkist shrimp ....I get one each of these critters as I don't want babies, as I have no room for more.

Good luck and have fun!!!

Oh....and I have a nanomag (google) it's super small and great at cleaning glass and getting in tough spaces!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001JSTHXS/?tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Welcome!
As thrujenseyes said, there is not much room for bottom feeders other than shrimp and snails.
The molly isn't really suited for life in the five gallon, though, they need 20 gallons or more.

Most reactions

trending

Back