Bottom Feeders

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Sheila

Reaction score
I would like to add a bottom feeder to my tank, but have a few concerns. First are they all algae eaters? Also, I have a 38 gallon tank with 2 gouramis, 3 gold barbs, 2 butterfly fish and 2 rainbow fish. I plan on getting 2 small fish tomorrow and a bottom feeder. Want something that will get along with what I have and not get too big for my tank. Suggestions? Thanks
Sheila

Are they all algae eaters? no

As for the rest, all signs point to .... cories!! :)

There are also some loaches that might do ok, but they tend to get fairly large. Chain loaches, yo yo loaches, or kuhli loaches stay fairly small, I'm pretty sure.

But personally, I like cories. For a tank that size, I would go for probably four or five (many claim they're more visible and active if there's at least three). Cories generally don't get much bigger than two inches long. Also, in my experience, you can mix and match them, and they usually tend to group together.

Yeah, corys sound like a good idea! I love my little cories. They enjoy being in a group,so be sure to get 3-6.
I have had good luck mixing different kinds together too. They usually just like being with some friends! I had tank where I had about three different kinds of corys and they bonded GREAT!!

Hi Sheila :)

I love my cory cats :wub: and I'm sure you will too.

They are indeed schooling fish, and you should get at least 3 of them. :nod: One cory will be shy and lonely, but if he has a couple of companions they will become much more outgoing and playful.

The only thing you will need special is to make some kind of cave or have low growing plants. They have poor eyes and sometimes like to get into the shade. :nod:

I have quite a few artificial plants in the tank now, as well as a shipwreck hiding thingy. My dwarf frogs have somewhat taken over the ship, but they like to burrow under it more than be in it, so shouldn't be a problem. Cories don't eat algae do they? Sorry...I really don't know and I don't want fishies that need algae yet as I don't see any in my tank yet. It's only about a month old. My water readings are great and I'm excited to be able to get a few fish tomorrow to add to the tank. Are there several kinds of cories? Also, my son would like to get a shark. Are there any that won't get too big for my 38 gallon tank and would get along with all my fish as well as the cories? Thanks in advance.
Sheila

Cories don't eat algae, no.

Are there several kinds of cories? A couple. Look here :)

Can't help you with the shark, I don't know much about them.

If you're looking for something that does well singly, take a look at Siamensis (Siamese Algae Eater). They're a little twitchy, but they grow on you... Otherwise, it's hard to go wrong with corys or otos. Cute factor high either way, though otos are algae eaters, if that's important.

Corys will not eat much algae and are not considered any help in tanks that have it growing, but they will eat algae wafers or spirulina discs as part of a balanced diet. Your gouramis would enjoy eating them, too.

Inchworm said:

Corys will not eat much algae and are not considered any help in tanks that have it growing, but they will eat algae wafers or spirulina discs as part of a balanced diet. Your gouramis would enjoy eating them, too.
So true!

My gouramis are such algae disk addicts!

Most reactions

trending

Back