Borneo Sucker

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Asmp41

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
can i use salt or will it kill him . Is there also aquarist salt for live bearers and if not how much salt do i use ?

Not sure about the Borneo sucker and Salt, but:

What live bearers are you talking about ?

And why do you want to use salt ?

On a side note, do you know that Borneo suckers are cold water fish and "most" live bearers, tropical (and should not be kept together) ?

Not sure about the Borneo sucker and Salt, but:

What live bearers are you talking about ?

And why do you want to use salt ?

On a side note, do you know that Borneo suckers are cold water fish and "most" live bearers, tropical (and should not be kept together) ?
No I didn't as it came out of a tropical tank and they he/she is with Guppies and Platys. I was told isalt kept Ich away.
I haven't used salt. I did lose two fish in there. No ich to see at moment.
The shop tried to sell me another plec for that tank but as i have got too close to the other plec . Now he is in a Rio 400 tank until he's bigger I know they get big. Thats the knowledge, so not getting another . the Borneo was a good option as these clean the tank about the same and grow to 6- 7. Guess it'll have to go back. Please I need to know Guppies and Platys do not live at low temps

Just to clarify - when you say "Borneo Sucker" you mean this little chap :

http://www.aquarticles.com/images/Michael%...ucker-bungo.jpg

They really don't grow bigger than 2.5" or so - so not sure where you got the 6.7 info from ?

If you don't have ICH, don't treat it and don't add salt "just in case". These fish are not meant to live in salt.

I'm not sure what your asking about guppies and Platys - they are tropical fish though and not cold water. So need a heater and around 25C.

The Borneo is in with the Guppies and platys if he is cold water he goes not the other way around . I have them in a heated tank. I will now look at your atach. was told 6-7 cm

Hi I have just phoned the lfs and they say can go both ways and they have them in with tropicals. i will forget salt as it's just that I did the other two parts for Ich they tell you to do here and now was at salt stage . Just was worried as he is snail like although he is very fast.
He is like the photo yet you mainly see the back as he sucks the glass.

They really honestly absolutely cannot go in any tropical tank at all. If you ask anyone over in the Cyprinids, Characins and Atherinids section, they will all tell you exactly the same. They need a cold water tank with a fast current.

You can only severely shortening it's life span and submit it to conditions to which it's not meant to live in :/

Are they coldwater?
Not as such. Most of those in the shops are really tropical fish. Some have a high requirement for oxygen, and because warmer water holds less oxygen than cold water, they do better in cooler tanks. They are highly unlikely to survive outdoors.

For best results keep them around the 20°C mark. If you keep them warmer you'll need to take special care to ensure the water is very well oxygenated.
This is what I have found
Frequently asked questions on balitorids | Practical Fishkeeping ...The Borneo sucker is fairly easy for most dealers to obtain. It's a small fish, usually reaching no more than 6-7cm/21/2" in captivity, and sports an ...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back