Bonsai Flower Horn

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

intsikto

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
just a question.. can a flower horn remain small? if i put a FH in a small aquarium so that it will remain small at the same time develope its color and head growth.. can this be done? the FH wont outgrow the tank right?

Purposefully stunting a fish for your own desires is so wrong on so many levels. i'm sure many people here would agree that this is jsut plain wrong and gross at the same time

:sick:

just asking man.. if its possible.. doesnt mean im gonna do it..

Sorry if I misunderstood what you were taling about. I've seen so many people on here say "Well, it won't grow to that size because I'm not keeping it in a bigger tank". It sickens me.

but to answer your question, yes it will remain small, but it will be stunted. Unlss it is a short bodied strain, then you can cause some serious problems. Many people can argue eityher way, but I read somewhere where a member Neale (nmonks) posted a reply about this. He included some scientific studies and whatnopt. I'll have ot find it for you and post it here :good:.

Edit: Found the thread

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=183660&hl

Heh, no problem.

Anyway, it's interesting that Cracker mentions that their are smaller flowerhorn strains are out there. Any more info on this?

Check the all knowing wikipedia. It should have enough info. And considering that FH's are hybrids, it's possible that someone could be trying to hybridize them to make mini FH's. Like a toy poodle or a miniature horse. Those took years to breed into existense so it could be awhile.

Heh, no problem.

Anyway, it's interesting that Cracker mentions that their are smaller flowerhorn strains are out there. Any more info on this?

I'll try to find some pix and post it soon .... It's now common here and personally I don't like it.

Here are some pix

9142bd23.jpg

b5c7e6ae.jpg

I heard that they can get between 2 and 8 inches? Also, how could that be, becasue i thouhgt that flowerhorns were such a hybrid that they arent fertile. Also, could i keep one in a 30g with 2 kribs? I am not sure about them becasue there isnt alot of info out there.

wrong proportions are usually the result of a cull that survived. Here is an example of a Pearl Gourami cull that survived:

pearlgouramicullej9.jpg

NOTE: This is NOT my fish. I found this fish being sold as a short bodied pearl gourami on Aquabid and thought it looked peculiar and saved it.

Most reactions

Back