Bonsai Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

crimsontsavo

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Okay, I've decided on my next set up. :) Unless I change my mind,lol.

I'm doing it Bonsai style.

I'm going to get some limbs that are twisty and look like tree trunks/limbs. Then going to train different plants to look like the leaves.

This is going to be landscaped down to a T.

What plants should I use?
I am definately going to grow some algae and hornwort.

Can I grow duckweed under the water if I fasten it down?
Java moss is a must, :D

Gonna build a Japanese style house and make a little fence too.

As far as the fish- I'm not sure yet. Any suggestions?

I might decide to do a Native American Aquarium instead of Japanese. Build a TeePee or whatever,lol.

Or a greek mythology one,hmm. Anyway, it's going to have Bonsai in it.

What plants are good for a Ten Gallon? The need to have small leaves.

What about those shell dweller cichlids? Will they tear plants up? I read they need space to dig in the sand- so maybe those arent good for this setup.

Anyway- it's an idea and thought it might be fun for everyone to think about. :)

Petco has fake bonsai trees in a small and large size. I have two, they look very real.
4258369549B.jpg

Fantastic Idea, Crimsontsavo. :nod: I have a piece of driftwood that you will die for when you see it. Would you be interested? I can email you pics.
As for plants, Wuvmybetta has a new post up of her Hex tank and that sort of plant would be perfect in my opinion. Also I think the hairy looking grassy type of plant would look cool in contrast to any rocks and wood.... sorry I dont know the name of the stuff.
For fish I'd choose swordtails and veiltail guppies and other fish that have elaborate fin structure like angels and gibbiceps.
I can't wait to see pics of it when it's done!

Thanks for the replies y'all!
It's gonna be a while before I get it going. Imma see if my sister will give me her ten gallon. :D Buhahaha.

I'm going for all real wood/plants Aura- but, that is still a pretty bonsai. :)
Will have to check her post out Exiled!

I have alot of wood laying around my pond all ready for the tank. :thumbs: But thanks for the offer!

There's a huge chunk I'm gonna put in my display tank when I redo the layout. ( it's GORGEOUS!)
:fun:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back