Bolivian ram?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SnailPocalypse

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So I have been looking for 5 gallon stocking and I thought possibly a bolivian ram?Extra water changes is fine.

Why? 5 gallon is for raising fish, a single betta or some shrimps but not for housing other fish permanently. Do you know your water parameters?

Yes I do know my water parameters.0 ammonia 0 nitrite 20-40 nitrates.
Ph-7.5-7.6(hard to read on the API test)
Also I looked up the maximum size of bolivian ram which is 3 inches I believe?I don't know if they are very active or not so that is why I am asking if it would be alright.

They are active, and hold quite large territories in the wild, so would in no way be suitable for a tank of that size.

Really your only options for a 5g are a betta, shrimps, three or four male Endlers or guppies, or a small shoal of six 'micro' fish, like ember tetras or CPD; but they tend to be very nervous kept in small numbers, so you would have to have the tank very heavily planted and, even then, you might not see them much.

Is your water hard or soft?

The pH is a measure of how acid or alkaline the water is, nothing to do with hardness.

Do you get a lot of limescale on your taps/showerhead/washing machine?

Limescale?Im guessing you mean a dust like residue that is white?Not much,we get a small amount of that stuff.I thought of going with maybe 3-4 guppies?

I agree with others that a 5g is not sufficient space except for a single Betta, or a small group of the "nano" fish like Endlers (if moderately hard water) or the micro rasbora or similar if soft water.

On the water hardness, check with your water authority, on their website you may find the water data that includes general or total hardness, and carbonate hardness or Alkalinity is also worth knowing.

Hmmm when I look up the water summary for my city I can not find general hardness or KH

If you post the link, I can take a look, sometimes they hide this rather well. Or, you can call them. You want the general or total hardness, and you want the carbonate hardness which is sometimes called Alkalinity. With the number, make sure you get the units they use to measure, like mg/liter, or ppm, or degrees, etc.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back