Bolivian Ram Staying A Top Of Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

David J

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi

See my signature for tank details.

My oldest ram, the female, hasn't been well since yesterday. I first notices last night that she was very dark and hiding about half way up the tank at the glass to the rear left corner. She was also pointing her body upwards so her head was pointing up, sitting at around a 45 degree angle. Breathing seemed a little faster than the male ram but not concerning. Gills look normal as do all fins. I fed the fish, all fish fed except her. She wasn't interest in the least.

I tested the water. All good. 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 20 nitrate. I had just done maintenance including a 40% water change.

Now she is acting the same but is mostly sitting about 1-2 inches from the surface. All other fish seem fine. Water tested ok again.

Any ideas?

Further info:

Recently introduced pressurised co2. Slowly built up the bubbles per second from 1 to 4 and have a steady light green on the drop checker.

Temp is 25 Celsius.

my experience---my Bolivian rams always stay at or near the bottom of the tank.   Several months ago, one of my rams turned blackish and wouldnt eat much but he eventually returned to his normal coloring and eating pattern.   I believe I read that blackish coloring on rams can be  due to low oxygen levels.     You need to have a bit of turbulence at the water surface---perhaps from a hob filter or from an airstone.  Do regular water changes and perhaps cut down a bit of the co2 to see if it makes a difference.   Bolivian rams swimming near the surface is not normal in my experience.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back